The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I find a wide variety of aquatic plants?
I'll be moving there & planning to start on a new tank.
I really don't know where to purchase good quality aquatic plants in the area.
I'm willing to travel to the surrounding area, such as Bandung.

I'm also interested in fish.
I know Barito, but that place only sells common types of fish.

I probably need info on where to purchase equipments, too ..
Filters, lightings, etc.
I already have a tank, but it's not set up yet.

Anyone with info, please reply.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I grew up in Jakarta. The best fresh & salt water fish place (maybe plants too) was Jalan Sumenep (Sumenep Road). Medicineman & ragnorak should be able to tell you more.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.
Which part of Jakarta is jl. Sumenep?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
So here I am your guide to Jakarta aquarium map :biggrin:

The most comprehensive with largest stock of aquatic plants is at Jalan Sumenep, which is Menteng district, situated near to prestigious avenues, Hotel Indonesia and many embassies. The market consist of a series of fish stalls, more like a union of 40+ LFS. Business is from morning till dawn, with the best fresh stock coming three times a week, mostly on weekends. There is no price tag for whatever you buy, so know your price well and most importantly, bargain like a cheapskate to avoid being overpriced. The plants dealers are at the open, so be sure you pay a visit when it is not pouring.

Another alternative would be at Jalan Kartini, also a group of fish stalls and small shops on a strip of road. The selection is less than what of they have at Sumenep, and the price tag usually does not exist. Smaller stalls require bargaining while shops do have price tags. Jalan Kartini is located pararel to Jalan Gunung Sahari near Pasar Baru, an old town shopping complex.

For narrow selection of plants but better equipments and fair price tag (you are welcome to bargain/ask discount for shopping big though), try Jalan Makaliwe at Latumenten Road, Grogol district. The street is the place of several shops, mostly dealing volume and retail of aquarium stuff - other than the fish.

You are welcome to try more specialty shops for those of you with thick wallets.

·
Registered
75 Posts
What he said :hihi: . I knew Jl. Sumenep is in Menteng, cause it is pretty close to where I went to school there in late 80s.
Be prepared to be in traffic jam. It seems like it is much worse now than it was back in late 80s.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Umm.. yea I also grew up as a boy in the 80's who paid quite a visit to the market with my dad (so the "crazyness" is more or less handed down).
I assure you traffic is much much worse than in the 80's, back then you can pick your nose while driving almost blindfolded for some time and not hitting any traffic by the front :hihi:

Luckily for as long as sumenep is the destination, most acess are still OK. Try the weekends and sundays instead, you will love the selection and the traffic as well.

Another thing... if you think of lighting... may as well go for DIY. We do not have those fancy aquascaping lighting fixture too common right here. If you find any, the price would be a consideration. Most are just common aquarium light with so-so reflector that you wont be able to reach the light target level when used as is. A good place to start planning/buying DIY light stuff is at Kenari Mas lighting center, located at Jalan Keramat Raya.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks you guys :) for all the info.
I'll definitely try the Menteng area, sounds like Sumenep is my best bet.
I'll try Sundays, as I know Sundays is when there's the least traffic.
I'll definitely post some more if I need more help on locations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts