The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new tank and not really finding as many easy shopping options as last time.

I don't need anything fancy. I just want something 5' long or shorter (but at least 75 gallons, preferably more).

Is there anything out there for larger reasonably priced tanks besides Topfin/Aqueon?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
I've been looking at Visio. They're made by Advanced Aqua Tanks who also makes Clear for Life acrylic tanks. U.S. made in California. What's odd is I can't find any info online on the Visio tanks that I was looking at. On their website they have a bunch of rimless and eurotrimmed tanks. The tanks I was looking at had a standard black plastic rim top and bottom. It had a beautiful silicone job but a really ugly center brace. It's the typical plastic brace but then it was sandwiched between glass with lots of silicone. The guy at the store told me I could order it with just about any kind of customization and the prices I got for drilling were very reasonable. You can also have the center brace split, low iron glass, etc. The tank I was looking at was 5'X2'X2'. Very reasonably priced and miles ahead of Aqueon in the silcone application. I took a bunch of pictures with pricing and now I can't locate them. You could always try contacting Visio directly. Click Here

·
Registered
642 Posts
I'm looking for a new tank and not really finding as many easy shopping options as last time.

I don't need anything fancy. I just want something 5' long or shorter (but at least 75 gallons, preferably more).

Is there anything out there for larger reasonably priced tanks besides Topfin/Aqueon?

Thanks!
You need to first decide if you want rimless low iron glass or standard glass, drilled(sump) or not drilled. I have a Waterbox 75g that I am very happy with.

Also don't forget about shipping/delivery costs for a large tank.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I'll check those out.

Sheesh I didn't know rimless was even an option for this size. I've been out of it for a while I guess.

All I really need is something clear that holds water and has a lid--nothing fancy needed. I'm just downsizing (or at least downlengthing) so I'll reuse my current low tech stuff which consists of lights and an old canister filter. Maybe I do just want the cheapO Petco/Petsmart tank. But the sizes are limited.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I've been looking at Visio. They're made by Advanced Aqua Tanks who also makes Clear for Life acrylic tanks. U.S. made in California. What's odd is I can't find any info online on the Visio tanks that I was looking at. On their website they have a bunch of rimless and eurotrimmed tanks. The tanks I was looking at had a standard black plastic rim top and bottom. It had a beautiful silicone job but a really ugly center brace. It's the typical plastic brace but then it was sandwiched between glass with lots of silicone. The guy at the store told me I could order it with just about any kind of customization and the prices I got for drilling were very reasonable. You can also have the center brace split, low iron glass, etc. The tank I was looking at was 5'X2'X2'. Very reasonably priced and miles ahead of Aqueon in the silcone application. I took a bunch of pictures with pricing and now I can't locate them. You could always try contacting Visio directly. Click Here
I just ordered a Visio 80r 48.5 x 18.5 x 23 .375. No starfire glass or holes drilled, no overflow but I did get a black frame and a black painted back glass. The frame plastic is far superior it isn't as wide as the cheap one but stronger. Its not brittle and thin. Silicone application is light years ahead of aqueon AKA "Time Bomb", top fin, or mairneland. In my opinion Visio tanks are the best out there. The 80r comes with a glass center brace, no plastic. I have a Visio 60e 48.5 x 15.5 x 17.375 that is 25 years old.
What's odd is I can't find any info online on the Visio tanks that I was looking at. On their website they have a bunch of rimless and eurotrimmed tanks. The tanks I was looking at had a standard black plastic rim top and bottom.
Go to Advance Aqua Tanks website and pull down the "glass" menu at the top, then go down to "Visio Standard Aquariums W/Trim", then "Visio Rectangle Aquariums". The pic that shows up is of a rimless euro braced tank, confusing right? They put the wrong pic up all the tanks listed below are the standard with trim. This website was redone this year there old site had the correct pic.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
I just ordered a Visio 80r 48.5 x 18.5 x 23 .375. No starfire glass or holes drilled, no overflow but I did get a black frame and a black painted back glass. The frame plastic is far superior it isn't as wide as the cheap one but stronger. Its not brittle and thin. Silicone application is light years ahead of aqueon AKA "Time Bomb", top fin, or mairneland. In my opinion Visio tanks are the best out there. The 80r comes with a glass center brace, no plastic. I have a Visio 60e 48.5 x 15.5 x 17.375 that is 25 years old.

Go to Advance Aqua Tanks website and pull down the "glass" menu at the top, then go down to "Visio Standard Aquariums W/Trim", then "Visio Rectangle Aquariums". The pic that shows up is of a rimless euro braced tank, confusing right? They put the wrong pic up all the tanks listed below are the standard with trim. This website was redone this year there old site had the correct pic.
Thanks for the info. That was confusing because the dimensions were matching up with the tanks I had seen but not the pics. The Euro braced tanks are nice but considerably more money. Did you order the tank through Advanced Aqua or through an LFS?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thanks for the info. That was confusing because the dimensions were matching up with the tanks I had seen but not the pics. The Euro braced tanks are nice but considerably more money. Did you order the tank through Advanced Aqua or through an LFS?
LFS Advance Aqua is wholesale only unfortunately.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What about SeaClear Acrylic tanks? I have one that’s 25+ years old and still strong and functioning well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Also looking for a 4' or 5' tank next go around, and am planning to purchase a Planet Aquariums tank from my LFS. He redid his entire store in their tanks and they look quite nice. I'm a bit worried, with the fall off in quality control reported frequently enough about larger tanks from MarineLand and Aqueon, so I'm looking up-market a bit. Based on conversations with my LFS, the cost for a 75 will be about double what it is for something from either big box. I'm OK with those numbers.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again. I've places to look now!

I think I'll avoid acrylic though--I use a lot of sand (because my fish will pick up and move anything larger) and I know I'd end up scratching the tank no matter how careful I am.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks!
My recommendation is to check out Glasscages in Franklin, Tennessee here: Glass Cages – Custom Aquariums If you stay with standard sizes such as 20 gallons, 40, 55, and 90 the prices are very reasonable. But, if you step outside standard parameters into custom-built models, the pricing is a bit higher. Either way, Glasscages will build you an exceptionally beautiful, solid tank plain or drilled, low iron glass or standard, European style or American. They will build you a cabinet as well in one of three trim levels.

I just purchased a 90 gallon tank with low iron glass on 3 sides, Euro bracing in the bottom, and standard black plastic frame. I also purchased a top level trim stand made of 3/4" cabinet grade plywood, 30" tall (you can choose height) with doors on three sides (sides and fronts) and two 12x12" access openings in the back for hoses and cords. The cost with shipping ran about $2500. You can easily trim the cost depending on what you want. The owner/president of Glasscages is Joe Munden. BTW, I do not work for them, nor am I paid for recommending them. I'm just a happy customer. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Regarding tank styles, why is euro bracing so expensive compare to framed? The difference in price for a 20gal at Glass Cages is almost $600 more for euro bracing.

Framed price $89

Eurobraced price for same aquarium = $650

What am I missing?

·
Registered
373 Posts
you do have a lot of options most I am going to list are "reef ready" but a few so make clear on drilled tanks.

redsea

waterbox ( I just got there 2420 and starting to set up my 1st FW planted tank to go along with my reefs )

innovative marine

cade

proclear/prostar

fiji cube

SCA aquariums

all posted above are low iron rimless yeah there more $$ for sure but man there nice.

I opted for a non driller FW tank from waterbox I know reef and sumps but from what little I understand for a Co2 injected tank going with a canister is what most of the really nice planted tank do so I just fallowed.
that said if your not into a heavly planted aquascape than i would say get a tank with sump.
waterbox as a few sumperd tanks set up in there studio worth check them out on youtube.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts