The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at lots of great aquascaping pictures online and I wonder: How well do these tanks work in the real world? I mean, they look great in the pictures, but do they look like that every day?

Where do they hide their intake and return? How do they get circulation through those tightly grown groups of plants without the plants bending in the current? Are there piles of detrius underneath all those plants?

Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

-Backpacker

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Many people remove all their equipment just for photo sessions (some of the aquascaping contests require that). Another "trick" is to use glassware/ lily pipes (or cheaper clear acrylic look-alikes).

Heaters and CO2 equipment can be plumbed into closed-loop filtration systems (sumps or canister filters), and some people are just good at hiding equipment behind their plants and hardscape.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Many people remove all their equipment just for photo sessions (some of the aquascaping contests require that). Another "trick" is to use glassware/ lily pipes (or cheaper clear acrylic look-alikes).

Heaters and CO2 equipment can be plumbed into closed-loop filtration systems (sumps or canister filters), and some people are just good at hiding equipment behind their plants and hardscape.

Ditto

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have my heater and Co2 system inline with the filter, but I still always have difficulty creating just the right amount of circulation current. I either have dead spots or too much current and the plants grow along the current.

Do you have detrius collecting under plant groups?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Yes, some, but unless it comes loose when I wave my siphon over top of it, I usually just leave it as fertilizer for the plants and food for the Amanos.

I've actually found that between my shrimp, catfish, and snails I rarely have that much debris in my tanks.

And I'll find a way to boost or change my flow if it looks like I've got a particular "dead" spot in the tank, to make sure debris gets into the filter intakes before it hits the floor of the tank.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I've actually found that between my shrimp, catfish, and snails I rarely have that much debris in my tanks.
Actually, I take that back-

UNLESS MY CRYPTS ARE ALL MELTING AT THE SAME TIME I find I rarely have that much debris in my tanks LOL (I just moved a lot of crypts around so they're all busy throwing temper tantrums- and crypt melt is just impossible to keep up with :icon_conf)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Against a black aquarium background, black equipment is not very visible.

I find a small Coralia powerhead excellent for creating a better current.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts