The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My german rams are breeding again and I dont want all my fry to get sucked up by the filter last time. Should I get a sponge filter? What do you think I should do? If you think I should get a sponge where do I get them?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Cheaper - Big Als. Faster... Drs F&S... I don't know about Rams, but I think you might wanna put them in a smaller fry tank with a sponge filter. They can use either air, or an air and small power head combination - or a powerhead by itself, I believe. I've never used one. I stuck a prefilter on my Ecco and 25 Rainbow fry have been fine, though they stayed at the top at first and a ton of plants blocked the intake. But its the smallest Eheim Ecco filter too.

·
Registered
520 Posts
This is what I bought for my cherry shrimp tank. Runs via air pump, not a powerhead. Your other option is to take a sponge (from say, the media for an Aquaclear filter), bore out the inside, and attach to the intake of your filter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Another sponge filter source online...

Hi there. I haven't tried this place yet, but many people from the NH Aquarium Society have high regard for it.... his food, and sponge filter prices......He's out of Mass. so it's always nice to shop at non-chain outfits. :)

http://www.kensfish.com/

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have used the Azoo sponge filters as well. I was very happy with the results. I liked them so much I went out and bought 10 of them!

·
Registered
842 Posts
If you already have a filter on the tank you can just buy a piece of filter sponge. Cut a nice deep x shape into it (but not all the way through) and slide it over the intake on your HOB and your fry will be fine- that way you don't have to worry about buying or cycling another filter. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.