The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've checked like 3 different stores and have had no luck so far. Anyone know a good place to get them? I'm setting up my sump tonight hopefully and would like to get it going.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Those look like body scrubbers, they have different sizes and colors. Some places have them cheap others really jack the price right up there...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Why not use bio balls?
People use them because they're much cheaper than bio balls or ceramic noodles. Personally I've always used ceramic noodles because they aren't prohibitively expensive and you get much more surface area for the volume they occupy. I've always heard that pot scrubers are not as efficient as bio balls and ceramic noodles but i've never seen any scientific data proving it. Perhaps they're on par or even better. I just go with the assumption that the bio balls are better. If you got a huge filter with space to waste, the pot scrubbers are probably a very good option.

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
People use them because they're much cheaper than bio balls or ceramic noodles. Personally I've always used ceramic noodles because they aren't prohibitively expensive and you get much more surface area for the volume they occupy. I've always heard that pot scrubers are not as efficient as bio balls and ceramic noodles but i've never seen any scientific data proving it. Perhaps they're on par or even better. I just go with the assumption that the bio balls are better. If you got a huge filter with space to waste, the pot scrubbers are probably a very good option.
Very good point, didn't think of that as I can get bio balls very cheap where I work. Honestly though I bet the pot scrubbers do just as good a job as bio balls do. The bacteria really don't care what they grow on. We have a filter at work that just has shredded up plastic mesh and it works great.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Unless your bioload is very high and/or your filter is very small, there is no benefit of ceramic media or bio balls over any other media.
Its very unlikely people with planted tanks have enough ammo/nitrite to utilize the surface area of certain more expensive media.
Your bacteria will reach their eventual population no matter what you have in the filter provided its not empty, and most of them wont even live in the filter but rather on your hardscape and plants and substrate.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would like to add a silly note, when this thread is at the top of the list in this forum, from the main page it shows up as "Where do I find pot..." which amuses me.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Nope, never touched pot or any other drug. I'm just cheesy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.