The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am going to try and spawn some fish. I have gourami, a mated angel pair, bunch of danio that re ready to go. I have been looking into these fish and I know which I am going to do. The issue I am having, is where to put these tanks. I found some 10 gal tanks at $10 each. and figured I would use the left over 36" led bar I have to cover both, and I kinda want another 1-2 tanks so they should all fit under this sideways. I figure three will for sure and if I do a fourth it can be plecos or something. lol

Anyway, I want to see some MacGyver setups. The crazier the better. I've been thinking of a shelf above my 33L or maybe even little shelf under my computer desk? Room is the issue and I have a baby and a wonderful lady that lets me do this so I try not to take over the house. But I have a 33L, 75, and a 10 with shrimp. plus now 4 empties.... So I wanna see some crazy places you guys put 10 gallon tanks. if you have a few or spawning tanks in the same place set in a precarious place, I wanna see.

Thank you for any and all input, preferably about the tanks and such but if you have thoughts on spawning anything let me know. I want to do some Gourami, the angels that paired off, the danios look like they will pop, if I can figure how to do SAEs once mine are older I will. But in the next 6 months I want to do some barbs. Live plants will be going in all the spawning tanks. nothing too crazy, just some plants from my main tanks that each type of fish would prefer to get them comfortable.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Lol I bred cichlids, wood cats and plecos. My breeders were very large and in every open spot in my basement along with an apisto 40B breeder in my bedroom. I installed an ro/ di in my bathroom 2 person hot tub and turned it into a sump. Piped the drain to the hot tub out to each tank with separate auto dosers set to breeding specs for each breeding pair. All tanks were pumped out to my garden. I don't have any pictures of it, but I did turn the hot tub sump into a turtle tank lol. Hot tub holds 300 gallons. I retired from the set up/ maintenance aspect of my business, finally truly retired, last year and am on here because I turned my 40B into a low tech planted and that's what brought me here.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol I bred cichlids, wood cats and plecos. My breeders were very large and in every open spot in my basement along with an apisto 40B breeder in my bedroom. I installed an ro/ di in my bathroom 2 person hot tub and turned it into a sump. Piped the drain to the hot tub out to each tank with separate auto dosers set to breeding specs for each breeding pair. All tanks were pumped out to my garden. I don't have any pictures of it, but I did turn the hot tub sump into a turtle tank lol. Hot tub holds 300 gallons. I retired from the set up/ maintenance aspect of my business, finally truly retired, last year and am on here because I turned my 40B into a low tech planted and that's what brought me here.
hahaha, oh man... I would be doing this kind of stuff but I kinda like my girl happy.... I started to read that and thought, "this is all the things that I have been thinking. I don't need that much room on the bathroom counter( but she does), same with kitchen counter and our bedroom. lots of places in there....." and unfortunately where I am in Cali the garage temps are way to drastic to even think about anything in there. I would have no more that 2 months at it's prime temperatures and then it would be completely screwed up. I would have to insulate the tanks and put coolers and heaters, probably multiple of both....

So I want to see those photos too, but I am really looking for discrete ideas for these little tanks. Thought of sliders under the spare bed, tanks are too tall... unless I raise them! this might be an idea, lol. anyway, these kinds of ideas. Ones that won't get me kicked out of the house.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
anyone know what it takes before you don't need approval on posts?
View attachment 1026031
Never got one of those before....

hahaha, oh man... I would be doing this kind of stuff but I kinda like my girl happy.... I started to read that and thought, "this is all the things that I have been thinking. I don't need that much room on the bathroom counter( but she does), same with kitchen counter and our bedroom. lots of places in there....." and unfortunately where I am in Cali the garage temps are way to drastic to even think about anything in there. I would have no more that 2 months at it's prime temperatures and then it would be completely screwed up. I would have to insulate the tanks and put coolers and heaters, probably multiple of both....

So I want to see those photos too, but I am really looking for discrete ideas for these little tanks. Thought of sliders under the spare bed, tanks are too tall... unless I raise them! this might be an idea, lol. anyway, these kinds of ideas. Ones that won't get me kicked out of the house.
I'm lucky my hubby happily supported me through this. We had to 100% overhaul the foundation and studs, reinforced the floors with a combination of jacks and beams and reseal every entrance and window. It took $12,000 to prep my circa 1800s house up to par to sustain this venture... Took my 4 years to clear that debt completely and start making decent money... Great credit boost though. I don't think he would've supported it if it wasn't a business venture, though. He has no regrets, especially after it only took me about 10 years to retire comfortably.
I never took pictures- I didn't want my method getting out to competitors. My mentor and first owner of my previous business told me to never share his secrets. I know, I know- no pics it never happened, but, yea. Liquid Tableware Fluid Frog True toad
here's my turtles chilling in what used to be my sump.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
This is what I ended up doing. This was right after installing the left and right 10 gallons, the 5 in the middle was in the process, but I wanted to snap a photo.

Underneath is everything for the 33L on top. these others will be either quarantine/breeder/timeout tanks. Middle will likely turn into a shrimp tank. I have 2 air pumps, each is split running two tanks. The bottom three area all just sponge filters. I don't have a current photo but they are much clearer now, as this was 20 minutes after water was added. small plants are growing in in all; a couple types of crypt, java ferns and some DHG. just trying out DHG for fun in there.

I basically just used a sawzall to get the tanks to fit and the light. I found the tanks on local market places. the heaters, I decided to buy new ones since they are $10 per online new at this size. sand is just pool filter sand from Lowes. since I had the saw and light this all cost me about $60, okay lets call it $100 since I did buy all new plants instead of patiently waiting for new growth to transplant from my other two tanks. One tank was for a turtle and was able to use a couple things for the chameleon we also just got.

The 10 gallons do hang off on both ends by less than an inch on each side. after a lot of reading and rereading I decided this small of tank shouldn't have an issue and here we are. I do need to take off the doors and put in a curtain. that's an old 36" led bar lighting all three. they all have timers and I want a lid for the 5g, have them for the 10s now. and I really need a smaller heater for the 5 gallon, a 100W is way too much especially if I want to do some shrimp. although... I probably don't even need a heater for them now that I think about it....

anyway, if anyone is curious about anything in particular let me know.

Afterthought, I have a couple submersible lights I plan to use in the 10s if this light just isn't cutting it.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
As much as I dislike saying it: remember that water is heavy. Apparently California has these laws where the minimum building code is 40 pounds/square foot (that's like, 4 gallons/square foot). I don't like it. But I gotta live with it.

If you're doing it for profit, then best to keep everything inside. If it's just for funsies, then put the growout tanks outside. Like, depending on where you are, your fish will love it. Most tropicals can take the temperature dips, and putting the growouts outside won't be an issue if you have a heater or something (I definitely remember those nighttime temperature drops....not fun).

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As much as I dislike saying it: remember that water is heavy. Apparently California has these laws where the minimum building code is 40 pounds/square foot (that's like, 4 gallons/square foot). I don't like it. But I gotta live with it.

If you're doing it for profit, then best to keep everything inside. If it's just for funsies, then put the growout tanks outside. Like, depending on where you are, your fish will love it. Most tropicals can take the temperature dips, and putting the growouts outside won't be an issue if you have a heater or something (I definitely remember those nighttime temperature drops....not fun).
what about the heat? that's mostly what I am worried about putting tanks in my garage. Yeah, a beefy heater in there will last them through winter, but it will be over 100 in there for most of the day everyday all summer.

and I "reinforced" these tanks by putting extra pieces of 2x4 under the stand. I very much appreciate how heavy these can get.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Heat depends on if they're outside outside, or in a garage outside. If you're incredibly worried, you can put them in a shady spot, or put shade cloth on top to limit how much sun they get. I've never put tanks in a garage (too worried about fumes).

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heat depends on if they're outside outside, or in a garage outside. If you're incredibly worried, you can put them in a shady spot, or put shade cloth on top to limit how much sun they get. I've never put tanks in a garage (too worried about fumes).
Yeah, this would be in a garage. I'm just not going to put them outside. I or we have discussed insulating the garage ourselves. She wants to turn the other half into a green house kinda thing. I would get a shop and tank room on the other side.

I will say that I was thoroughly excited at the prospect of putting more tanks in the garage without doing minor construction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.