The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have a question that doesnt directly realte to plants but I have a 60 gallon in my room but I really hate the wideness, 12 inches doesnt give me almost any room to aquascape so I want to upgrade to a 75. now heres the problem, Im upstairs and im not sure how large of an aquarium i can put up here do to weight, the placement will be on an outside wall and i know we have ibeams across the house but im still not sure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi, ive never posted on here before but in my opinion you would be fine. water is 8.33lbs a gallon. so your 60 is roughly 500lbs plus another lb or 2 per gallon for rocks, gravel etc. so a 75 is 625lbs. call it 725 +/- compared to 600 +/-. not a huge difference. get a decent stand that spreads out the weight if it makes you nervous but its like having 4 adults standing on a dresser. probably not a big deal. anyway thats my opinion hope it helps.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
It's roughly ten pounds per gallon factoring the water, glass, stand, substrate, hood, ect. If it's on an outside load bearing wall perpendicular to the floor joists, it shouldn't be a problem. People put water beds upstairs all the time and there's no problems unless the bed leaks. It's only 150 lbs more than your 60 gallon tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts