The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add some supplemental lighting to planted dart frog vivarium that’s been going for a few years now. I recently pulled out a bunch of plants for a partial rescape and I’d like to add a light that will visually enhance colors and add a little more light to the front of the viv, but not too much. The original Chihiros RGB seemed like a decent option but I may have waited too long because now I can’t seem to find one. Can anyone send a link where they are for sale or recommend alternative lights.
I know this is an aquarium forum but you guys are my go to for lighting. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I want to add some supplemental lighting to planted dart frog vivarium that’s been going for a few years now. I recently pulled out a bunch of plants for a partial rescape and I’d like to add a light that will visually enhance colors and add a little more light to the front of the viv, but not too much. The original Chihiros RGB seemed like a decent option but I may have waited too long because now I can’t seem to find one. Can anyone send a link where they are for sale or recommend alternative lights.
I know this is an aquarium forum but you guys are my go to for lighting. Thanks for any help.

Nice tank!

I bought mine from Aliexpress but you can also find them on Ebay. Expect it to ship from china so it will be a few weeks before you see it. Just search Chihiros WRGB.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Thanks, I think that’s them but they only have the 90watt size left. I’m assuming they stopped making them and most places have sold out. Oh well.
Any suggestions for something not too bright (and not crazy expensive) that will enhance colors?

Any RGB centic light accentuates colors.
What size (both dimensions that it will fit in and possible est of added power)

are you looking for?

https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Plant...t=&hvlocphy=9019191&hvtargid=pla-796260272139

·
Registered
30 Posts

are you looking for?

https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Plant...t=&hvlocphy=9019191&hvtargid=pla-796260272139

The width of the terrarium is 18”.

It’s main light is a 36w power compact fluorescent. I had a Current USA planted plus pro in addition to the PC but gifted it too my niece because it was way overkill for my needs and she needed a good light for her first freshwater planted tank. I currently have a little beamswork with 1w diodes set on low but Im not happy with light distribution or color.

are you looking for?

Sorry I didn’t answer that well. Total dimensions are 18x18w by 24high. The power compact covers the back half. As far as estimated watts needed my guess is 15 would probably be more than I need but it obviously depends on wether the light can be dimmed.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Sorry I didn’t answer that well. Total dimensions are 18x18w by 24high. The power compact covers the back half. As far as estimated watts needed my guess is 15 would probably be more than I need but it obviously depends on wether the light can be dimmed.

you know I want to just tell you to throw some quality diodes on a piece of aluminum don't you... ;)
Anyways I'll think about this. It isn't exactly as easy as one thinks..

Expensive bit of good color..
12" strip
https://store.waveformlighting.com/...9-cri-led-linear-module?variant=8190565711974

your pc bulb.. around 6500k?

Reactions: Quesenek

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Those look very interesting! They claim it “looks” nearly identical to natural sunlight but does that mean it contains the same full spectrum with UV, infrared, etc...?

They should add "visible spectrum"..LED's generate little or no UV or IR unless by specific chips..

If you want a smidge of each this warm white COB is pretty nice.

3000K 95 CRI on the warm standard (not D65 daylight)

your CF emits some UV but not much either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.