The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i hate using charcoal in my filter... so i forget what the other stuff is called but i cant seem to find it anywhere but online and i dont want to pay for shipping on a $5-$10 item... and also i cant find otto's ANYWHERE i went to 3 local fish store and then a petsmart... im thinking about just going to pruess(i hope thats how you spell it) pet in MI but its like an hour drive for me so im going to need some money before i go... if there is anything else you guys would recommend for a newly planted tank(sand bottom) please tell me... and kind of ferts, fish, or plants.

·
Registered
72 Posts
IMO, carbon and other chemical filtering media is unnecessary. I've never used it, and never will, unless I have a medication/chemical that I want to remove from the water.

Concerning Otos, I always find my healthiest Otos at Petsmart. They may not always have them, but when they do, they're in decent shape. I've been fortunate that I've had a breeding colony for some time now. 4 turned into 8 which is now 12+. Active little boogers.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what do you use for filtration then nothing? do you just have filters in there for movement or what? and ill ask my local petsmart in a few days about otos

·
Registered
40 Posts
I got mine at my local PetSmart recently as well a week ago - I got seven expecting the dead Otto trend that some have. All of the little buggers are happy and content feasting on my algae.

·
Registered
885 Posts
what do you use for filtration then nothing? do you just have filters in there for movement or what? and ill ask my local petsmart in a few days about otos
he's probably using floss,sponges,balls,rings,etc instead.

im using a sponge, plastic pot scrubbers, balls, rings, and poly quilt batting as a cheap floss

at my petsmart said no when i asked, but then while looking at the tanks i seen 9-10 in a tank. problem with asking them is their knowledge is quite limited several times i've asked for something got a "we don't have that" answer and then found it while browsing tanks.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
he's probably using floss,sponges,balls,rings,etc instead.

im using a sponge, plastic pot scrubbers, balls, rings, and poly quilt batting as a cheap floss

at my petsmart said no when i asked, but then while looking at the tanks i seen 9-10 in a tank. problem with asking them is their knowledge is quite limited several times i've asked for something got a "we don't have that" answer and then found it while browsing tanks.
yea i know its the same way with all pet stores... they are all clue less about everything

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Our Petsmart has a pretty good crew. About half of them have enough knowledge to at least offer some assistance to a new hobbyist. The problem sometimes is that the hobbyist really wants to make their own decisions, right or wrong. I've yet to overhear a conversation with advice that made me cringe. That happens a lot at some fish stores. lol.

Anyway... I've found Otocinclus most times at our Petsmart, they know them by that name and not by "oto". This fish though I think is better purchased sooner than later as they don't seem to feed them foods they'll eat. If they have them for long they look real thin.

Maybe the OP is looking for Seachem Purigen to replace GAC.

SteveU

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Let's start by assuming that this question concerns a planted tank, not a fish only tank. Planted tanks don't need the filtration schemes that fish only tanks need. We rely on the plants to use the nitrates in the water as food, to use phosphates in the water as food, and to use ammonia in the water as food, so chemical removers, like phosphate removers, nitrate removers, ammonia removers (including nitrifying bacteria), are not essential in a planted tank. About all our filters need to do is polish the water by removing fine debris, and secondarily to harbor a colony of beneficial bacteria. A canister filter also provides some of the water circulation in the tank that is desirable.

Charcoal and Purigen are useful at times, but are not needed for everyday use in a planted tank.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let's start by assuming that this question concerns a planted tank, not a fish only tank. Planted tanks don't need the filtration schemes that fish only tanks need. We rely on the plants to use the nitrates in the water as food, to use phosphates in the water as food, and to use ammonia in the water as food, so chemical removers, like phosphate removers, nitrate removers, ammonia removers (including nitrifying bacteria), are not essential in a planted tank. About all our filters need to do is polish the water by removing fine debris, and secondarily to harbor a colony of beneficial bacteria. A canister filter also provides some of the water circulation in the tank that is desirable.

Charcoal and Purigen are useful at times, but are not needed for everyday use in a planted tank.
alright thanks... this helps alot because im getting my plants in today or tomorrow and i dont want to have a hang on the back filter if i only really need a power head in there... i think it would look nicer

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
With a powerhead you'll have no mechanical filtration. That may be ok but I do know I clean a load of gunk out of the canister filters when I clean them. Without those filters the system would have to deal with that waste on it's own.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With a powerhead you'll have no mechanical filtration. That may be ok but I do know I clean a load of gunk out of the canister filters when I clean them. Without those filters the system would have to deal with that waste on it's own.

no i will have some because i got one of those canisters that go on the bottom of the power heads and you can put stuff in side of them such as a little bit of charcoal

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I think the intake from a HOB would take less room and is a lot easier to clean.

SteveU

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the intake from a HOB would take less room and is a lot easier to clean.

SteveU
but the thing is that i have it a top less tank... and i have the light suspended off of the top with chain and i dont like the look of a huge filter on the back and i have some really good power head 301's (i forget what company) and they work really good and they cant suck up baby fish that swim by if my fish end up having babies

·
Registered
96 Posts
Do you know the name of that canister that goes on the bottom of the powerhead? never seen anything like that before-but I'm still new. I have a couple of powerheads that I have sponge prefilters on the intake but that canister thing sounds like it would be better than sponge?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it is by aqua clear thats all i know i think they only make one kind though... the first time i saw one was like 3 weeks ago and i got it for fun and now im using it and its doing pretty good...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts