The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only have one of these little guys right now... I'd love to have more again, but the nearest place to buy them is 4 to 5 hours away and I'd rather not drive that far... I've checked online stores but I just can't find anyone that has any... Any ideas? I really hate keeping such a fish alone. I don't think my local store can get them either....

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish I had a petco near me... You just can't understand the torture of not being able to participate in the dollar per gallon sale...

I'll ask the two stores closest. We'll see what happens... Until then, any other ideas? :grin2:I really love my one fish, but I never realized just how rare they are...

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Did you check with Wet Spot Tropical Fish? They often have some of the rarer stuff.

Edit: Just checked and it looks like they are on the stock list. They don't have a normal "shopping cart" set up (though they sell on the auction sites too), but they've always been responsive to emails.

·
Registered
173 Posts
ebay dot com/itm/10-75-Emerald-Dwarf-Rasbora-Celestichthys-erythromicron-live-fresh-tropical-/171998313544

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These guys may have some, or be able to get some

Aquatic Arts - Rare Fish, Inverts & Aquatic Plants by mail! - Aquatic Arts - Unique Fish, Inverts & Aquatic Plants by mail!

Yes they have them, just checked. Slightly better fish price than Wet Spot
And tank raised, too, I see. Much better than doing wild caught. Thank you so much!

Bump: Say I were to order from Aquatic Arts:

Should I do the priority shipping for $11. It's two day shipping. They are in Indianapolis, IN, which is less than a 3 hour flight from where I live. But, packages around here like to get stuck at the post office with no way to get them. They said that it's always in transit...

Or for $24 I could have the Express which would arrive in one day.

It's winter here in Michigan, so it's not warm (well, last weekend was. We were up to 54 degrees (F). Tee-shirt and shorts weather for us. But it's dropped back below 30 degrees now (still not horrible, but...)

So, opinions:
Save $13 on shipping or pay $13 and not have to worry? I'm leaning towards express, myself.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm in East Lansing and was planning on placing an order with them. I too wasn't sure what shipping to go with as it isn't too far away. They appear to have a live arrival guarantee but perhaps they wait if someone chooses cheap shipping until the weather is better? I would think if they could be mailed with hold for pickup they wouldn't sit on the porch and freeze. I've had both shrimp and plants sent this way with priority 3 day shipping without issue.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Just about any place you order from will work with you to ship when the weather is warm enough to ship. I think generally packages overnight in shipping facilities, so yes, the biggest risks are delayed shipments, and packages sitting on your doorstep in freezing weather.

Call or send them an email with what you'd like to order, and include your questions about shipping options.

·
Registered
835 Posts
seconded for Aquatic Arts. I just ordered 24 Dwarf Emeralds from them around a month ago - and they all survived the shipping process. I usually place a big emphasis on getting Tank Raised fish - they seem to be much hardier than Wild Caught when it comes to Danios/Rasboras

·
Registered
167 Posts

Aquatic Arts - Rare Fish, Inverts & Aquatic Plants by mail! - Aquatic Arts - Unique Fish, Inverts & Aquatic Plants by mail!

And tank raised, too, I see. Much better than doing wild caught. Thank you so much!

Bump: Say I were to order from Aquatic Arts:

Should I do the priority shipping for $11. It's two day shipping. They are in Indianapolis, IN, which is less than a 3 hour flight from where I live. But, packages around here like to get stuck at the post office with no way to get them. They said that it's always in transit...

Or for $24 I could have the Express which would arrive in one day.

It's winter here in Michigan, so it's not warm (well, last weekend was. We were up to 54 degrees (F). Tee-shirt and shorts weather for us. But it's dropped back below 30 degrees now (still not horrible, but...)

So, opinions:
Save $13 on shipping or pay $13 and not have to worry? I'm leaning towards express, myself.
Yeah I'd go with the express. No matter who you order from it's going to be the same issue. Wet Spot is on the west coast so you''d be paying more for the express. I think $24 is a good deal. My order was quoted at $48 for express, because I'm also on the west coast.

·
Registered
67 Posts

Weren't these guys the ones selling shrimp with fungus/bacterial on them??? which is incurable...and needs to be culled. Can't say i would trust them with fish too.

yep here it is. and this was like a week ago. there is also another post in link 2 that was from 2 months ago....so wouldn't trust buy stuff from them.

(original link)
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/88-shrimp-other-invertebrates/1003737-moss-growing-shrimp.html

(post 9 links to this)
http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/5278-help-shrimp-green-fungus/

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Are you sure you don't want Celestial Pearls? I got Emerald Dwarves, and I'm gonna be honest, I regretted it for awhile. The fish seemed perfectly healthy and happy, but they've been one of the most skittish, invisible fish I've ever owned. Even with a heavily planted tank, a smaller dither fish species, fancy food and all that- nothing. Literally went weeks without seeing them. So I got a dwarf gourami to replace them, since I thought they were dead, and it'd be a fish I could actually see. Naturally, out pop the rasboras as soon as gourami goes in. I decided to keep both, since for whatever reason the rasboras are infinitely more willing to come out into the open with the gourami around. That being said, the tank is probably overstocked. No one seems to mind.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do like the emerald dwarfs, though. I wanted the celestial pearls to start with but the store didn't have any so I went with the rasboras instead. Maybe I could do both, no harm in that, right?

I think with a big enough school they should be fairly confident little fish.

My male crowntail, who is in the 5 gallon with my one rasbora and two ember tetras, likes to hide in the same plants as the rasbora does. So it kicks the poor guy out.

The ember tetra are a lot more outgoing than the rasbora, but I find them sort of bland.

Maybe a tank with all three would be great:laugh2:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got mine here

great places to find them... depends on what you can afford.

I've order from them 2 months ago. zero problem and actually arrived with 3 more than order. They are selling at retail prices, and fair shipping cost. Fish come doubled bagged and something I never seen before in the industry pack with blow in cardboard fiber. so they are will protected inside the box. all fish where healthy and still are.

Bump: http://www.aquaticarts.com/

great places to find them... depends on what you can afford.

I've order from them 2 months ago. zero problem and actually arrived with 3 more than order. They are selling at retail prices, and fair shipping cost. Fish come doubled bagged and something I never seen before in the industry pack with blow in cardboard fiber. so they are will protected inside the box. all fish where healthy and still are.

Bump: with schooling fish, if you don't have something to spook them, keep them on their toes (per say) they do turn invisible. I have a school of both, but the schools are larger numbers so they only get lost.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.