The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
looks a lot like HM which i have from kubalik.

"Synonyms: Hemianthus micranthemoides (erroneous), Micranthemum glomeratum"

looks like it is commonly mis-id'd too.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Yea its one and the same common baby tears. I believe it did get a name change though. Should be quite easy to find actually.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
I have this

Common Name: Baby Tears
Scientific Name: Micranthemum umbrosum

I also have
Common Name: Baby Tears
Scientific Name: Hemianthus micranthemoides

Notice the variation of the leaf shape. Seems that Hemianthus Umbrosum falls inbetween these two types...

Glomeratus is looking more like a bacopa with thicker stems

Bacopa Australis (Bacopa Australis) is absolutely stunning
all this research has peaked my own interests.. hmmm

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I had regular baby tears before. It grows nice, even without CO2. Fishtown USA has it regularly.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Aokashi,

I got the HU one Al's first picture. They are aslo called Giant Baby Tears. They are the one that grow up and not like HM that are runners. I also got what Ed is looking for, the Becopa. They so many different type of them that looks the same. LOL

·
Registered
380 Posts
Aokashi, if you really really want some, I have. It won't be perfectly clean but I do have.

And I'd love a glob of H.umbrosum. If anyone up there is trimming theirs please let me know :D

·
Registered
684 Posts
I know that they sell Baby Tears HM at Pacific for like 4 bucks for a few stems. They used to hand out wads for 2.50 back then.

I actually started growing mine from 2 small little pieces that got mixed into my java moss. But I still don't have much because i don't use ferts and I'm using FSS, I love these plants. I like these better than HC

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
You already have it. It is exactly the same as Hemianthus micranthemoides, though micranthemoides has now been proven to be an erroneous name. The real micranthemoides has not been seen for over 70 years.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You already have it. It is exactly the same as Hemianthus micranthemoides, though micranthemoides has now been proven to be an erroneous name. The real micranthemoides has not been seen for over 70 years.
:/ I read that too, but I'm not looking for the mystery HM or the round leaved baby tears. Apparently there is a plant that goes under Hermianthus Glomeratus which is a narrower leaved species which will grow to a bush.
The photos on APC are certainly not of the round leaved giant baby tears many of us have now. :O The misnaming and whatever seems to have made it very confusing to ID 3 different plant species.

The narrow leaf is not an emmersed form either as i have round leaved giant baby tears growing emmersed as well. It does not branch and only sends out single side shoots when cut.

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
My point was though, that in the stores it still goes under the name Hemianthus micranthemoides so if you buy that it is the plant you are looking for. Look on that auction site and you'll find tons of it for sale.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yup thanks!

I did look for it under all its names prior to this thread..aquabid didnt have any :/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts