The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just swapped to Landen soil. It's been about 15 hours and my degassed pH reads 5.7. Can I believe this as my degassed pH or should I wait longer?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Let it degas longer if you're unsure but, regardless, 5.7 does seem low....are you sure your pH probe is calibrated?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let it degas longer if you're unsure but, regardless, 5.7 does seem low....are you sure your pH probe is calibrated?
Pretty sure, but I will calibrate again to be sure. I didn't expect this, but I have already spiked Ammonia to 2ppm this morning. Would that lower it even more?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just google'd ammonia and apparently it's a weak base, so it should actually raise your pH
I will calibrate and continue to watch. I'm using the established filter on this tank and removed all the live stock. Should I water change or just keep it at 2ppm and wait? I have a few plants in and more arriving this week.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You want to change the water to keep the ammonia spike down but I don't know the exact schedule (volume %, frequency, duration, etc.). Need others here who keep Landen to answer that

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You want to change the water to keep the ammonia spike down but I don't know the exact schedule (volume %, frequency, duration, etc.). Need others here who keep Landen to answer that
Excellent, thank you for all your assistance. I really appreciate it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts