The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I had an incident last night at about 4am where I awoke to a loud hissing coming from my CO2 cylinder :icon_eek: It seems that I didn't screw in the regulator tight enough when i first installed the system about a week ago. It finally somehow became loose enough for the gas to leak.

My question is when should I go take the cylinder to be refilled? I have a Red Sea CO2 regulator on it that was reading about 1000psi before last night, and now its at 600 psi (in the red area of the regulator meter. 1000 is in the green). Did enough CO2 escape to warrant a refill?

Thanks!

·
Are these real?
15,706 Posts
Under normal temperatures, 600psi means there isn't any liquid CO2 left in the tank. While some ppl with low pressure regulators and reliable controller/solenoid combos let their tanks empty, you might as well go and refill to prevent any possible end-of-tank-dump. If most of the gas escaped in one night, it is not worth to get another week out of the tank but risk damage to the inhabitants.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
1. Buy a wrench.
2. Get manly with the wrench. If it's not possible for you to get manly with the wrench then find someone who can. You won't break the thing by tightening it up.
3. Make sure you use a new washer.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
lol thats not completely true rex. I was using one of your old permanant perma-seals (the ones you screw in to the tank) and I got too manly with my wrench. I thought the hissing sound I heard was because I didn't tighten it enough. Anyways when I ended up taking the thing off to look at it again I can completely destroyed the perma-seal, the middle of the thing had cracks that radiated out from the center like the spokes on a bike wheel. If you are not using one of those things though you should be just fine and if you are using one you dont need to get so manly with your wrench. BTW I highly recommend the perma-seals Rex sells they really do a great job and you dont have to deal with those stupid plastic ones that leave crud in the threads.

·
Are these real?
15,706 Posts
I used a permaseal (came with my tank) on a Milwaukee regulator and it almost destroyed the regulator. Those "stupid" plastic ones are pretty safe. I have been reusing the same one without problems. Found that new ones compress after a few days and you need to re-tighten the nut or they might leak. Once they are compressed they seem to hold up well... just IME.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
oblong: That's strange. I've never seen one crack. Was it screwed in all the way?

Wasserpest: How did it almost destroy the regulator?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts