The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been keeping yellowback neocaridina shrimp since Thanksgiving. I have had multiple groups of shrimplets born and now the tank is crawling with juveniles. My shrimp tank is pretty small (4.5 gallons) and my plan has always been to keep the best colored shrimp in this tank and "retire" the culls to my display tank where they should be fine, but any new shrimplets are more likely to be fish food.

How long should I wait to pick which tank the shrimp should go in? I have no idea how long color takes to develop, especially the line in the back. I have a bunch of individuals that are >1 cm and I'm starting to see color differences, but are some just late bloomers? There are a couple that are very clear and I'm eager to move them, but maybe that's premature? I'd love any thoughts or advice.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I've been keeping yellowback neocaridina shrimp since Thanksgiving. I have had multiple groups of shrimplets born and now the tank is crawling with juveniles. My shrimp tank is pretty small (4.5 gallons) and my plan has always been to keep the best colored shrimp in this tank and "retire" the culls to my display tank where they should be fine, but any new shrimplets are more likely to be fish food.

How long should I wait to pick which tank the shrimp should go in? I have no idea how long color takes to develop, especially the line in the back. I have a bunch of individuals that are >1 cm and I'm starting to see color differences, but are some just late bloomers? There are a couple that are very clear and I'm eager to move them, but maybe that's premature? I'd love any thoughts or advice.
I'm no good at this but I've been wary of moving too many of the badly colored ones till adulthood because a lot of times the badly colored ones are males and until I can tell the difference I don't want to cull my entire male population.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Really up to you. Oftentimes a shrimp does not color up fully until adulthood. I've had clear go to blue over the span of a week. Spotted goes to fully opaque. Sometimes they are fully colored at birth, sometimes it takes a whike. I have noticed as well that they will be devoid of color after a molt. I've culled clear adults only to see them fully colored a week later in the cull tank

Generally, if they make it to 3/4" without making the grade they get sidelined in another tank with the potential to be reintroduced

1 - 4 of 4 Posts