The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is my attempt at a dry start. It's a 30l tank with dragon stone, Monte Carlo, UG and dwarf hairgrass. Things look like they are staying to grow, it's been 4 weeks and I was wondering at what point do I flood the tank? In no rush but don't want to leave it to long.

·
Registered
575 Posts
This is going to be a high tech tank I assume? I think as long as they are rooted enough to not float when you fill it you can flood, but I would probably wait until there was better coverage. As long as it's not entirely overgrown I don't think waiting too long is an issue. If mold shows up at some point you can always flood it right then and problem solved.

·
Registered
324 Posts
^^^ Yep, basically what I did. I've only done two dry-starts, but both times I flooded at the first sign of the white fuzzy mold. I found that using a makeshift "watering can" kept the mold away much better than misting with a spray bottle, FWIW. Also easier to keep the tank glass clean.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ElleDee was only going to be a shrimp tank but I might split my co2 line and run a nano diffuser. The lighting is a 15w led floodlight 6500k 1800lm (not sure on the par setting). The hairgrass is sending out runners and I can see roots on the Monte Carlo but other that new growth on the UG I haven't a clue how well that's doing as far as roots are going. No signs of mold yet and there is condensation on the glass. I'll leave it for another 4 weeks and see how the UG grows. Worst case I remove it and plant more Monte Carlo.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
@ElleDee was only going to be a shrimp tank but I might split my co2 line and run a nano diffuser. The lighting is a 15w led floodlight 6500k 1800lm (not sure on the par setting). The hairgrass is sending out runners and I can see roots on the Monte Carlo but other that new growth on the UG I haven't a clue how well that's doing as far as roots are going. No signs of mold yet and there is condensation on the glass. I'll leave it for another 4 weeks and see how the UG grows. Worst case I remove it and plant more Monte Carlo.
If this is a low-tech tank then you're going to want to wait longer before flooding. Once you flood carpeting plants will essentially slow down growth dramatically. The Monte Carlo and UG will be at severe risk of dying off when you flood, so getting them established as possible before then will help a great deal. The hair grass will continue to grow but at a pace of approximately 1/20 its current rate.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yeah, completely second everything @minorhero said. I guessed it was a high tech tank just from the plant selection. I'm not sure I've seen UG grown low tech successfully, but maybe I'm wrong. I believe I've heard Monte Carlo is workable for some people, but it's not attempted that much.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I just failed my UG project when I flooded the container it all melted away. If you have enough microorganisms in your substrate it may work in a low tech setting as it's a carnivorous plant it's not a reliant on light or column nutrients. It's got a habit of just deciding to float up, from what I've read, because it uses bladders to attach not roots.

I've never been able to get monte carlo to work right in low tech. It has not carpeted and gets leggy and slowly dies. This is my experience with it, others may be able to give you advice on how to grow it low tech.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.