The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a 10x10 mat of HC and it all died during the dry start because someone told me mold doesn't affect it.

I'm ordering another 10x10 mat and I'm going to start it with the tank filled. It is a 34 gallon tank, about 12-15 inches deep from the light to the ADA Aqua Soil.

QUESTIONS:

1. Should I fill the tank with water now and plant the HC when it comes? Or should I wait and plant the HC in the tank dry, then immediately fill it?
2. Would one of those options cause it to melt faster or something? How much melting should I expect?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
So usually I am more help than a simple link, but honestly I have never have a chance to do a DSM, but here is a link to a thread by Tom Barr:

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/foru...-start-method-for-starting-a-new-planted-tank

It has been the best of my knowledge that you should not see much melting with the DSM, but I may be wrong. A theory I have is perhaps maybe what you are getting is grown submerged and that is why is it dying off since it is going from submerged to emerged so quickly. Or maybe it was because you didn't have enough water in there? Contrary to the name, the dry start method isn't really "dry" there's just no water above the soil. Sorry I couldn't have been more help, I am going to keep an eye on this thread because I may be setting up a 30 gallon or a 40 breeder soon for this awesome nice piece of driftwood I got.

917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So usually I am more help than a simple link, but honestly I have never have a chance to do a DSM, but here is a link to a thread by Tom Barr:

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/foru...-start-method-for-starting-a-new-planted-tank

It has been the best of my knowledge that you should not see much melting with the DSM, but I may be wrong. A theory I have is perhaps maybe what you are getting is grown submerged and that is why is it dying off since it is going from submerged to emerged so quickly. Or maybe it was because you didn't have enough water in there? Contrary to the name, the dry start method isn't really "dry" there's just no water above the soil. Sorry I couldn't have been more help, I am going to keep an eye on this thread because I may be setting up a 30 gallon or a 40 breeder soon for this awesome nice piece of driftwood I got.
Read my post.

917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. Should I fill the tank with water now and plant the HC when it comes? Or should I wait and plant the HC in the tank dry, then immediately fill it?
2. Would one of those options cause it to melt faster or something? How much melting should I expect?
Still curious... Would "cycling" for like a week before adding it help, is basically what I'm asking... Or just wait until it comes then fill the tank that day?

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
I always start mine under water, it really doesnt matter. You will almost always see some melting when you first plant it. It may take awhile to take hold, I never had good luck dry starting. I always have stuff like that happen, best to submerge it from day one and be done with it.

917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I always start mine under water, it really doesnt matter. You will almost always see some melting when you first plant it. It may take awhile to take hold, I never had good luck dry starting. I always have stuff like that happen, best to submerge it from day one and be done with it.
Yeah I know, but should I fill the tank now and let it cycle or whatever until the HC comes on Friday? Or should I wait until Friday, place the HC where I want it in the tank, THEN fill it immediately (that day)?

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
No will,be fine as long as your other parameters are fine. If you use ammonia to cycle it probably won't like it. Just do,yoyr normal water changes and let it,take hold. Patience will be your,friend in the end

-Chris

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Really depends on weather or not the HC you got was grown emersed or submerged. I grew mine submerged and it grew like crazy even though I got a little bit of melting the first few days. That was mainly because the HC I used was grown emersed. It bounced back very quickly because I ran my co2 very high for the first few weeks. But it really depends what way you want to grow it. I personally recommend planting it than flooding the tank immediately and let it grow submerged. As long as you keep the co2 super high you should have no problems. High Co2 seems to be the most important ingredient for hc to grow fast and lush

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.