The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I got a T5 fixture for over a year now on my aquarium, when is it necessary to change the light bulbs in this fixture.

Also on a PC lighting how often to change the light bulbs, I have a 260Watts Coralife running for 10 months now.

My plants used to pearl like crazy but for the past few weeks it has declined big time.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
About a year is when you should replacing bulbs...after that, the color spectrum shifts and that's probably why you're getting less pearling.

·
Are these real?
15,712 Posts
If you have plenty light, you can leave them until they burn out. If lighting is borderline, you might have to replace them more often. Like Epic said, some bulbs shift their color spectrum (like from a bright white to a dull yellow) sooner or later, and either your personal preference, or observation of less vigorous plant growth tells you to change them.

If you have 4 bulbs running, change two now, and see if there is any difference. Worst case, you bought two spare bulbs early.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, for all the help. I will go ahead ang replace 2 and see what the difference is.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
If you have 4 bulbs running, change two now, and see if there is any difference. Worst case, you bought two spare bulbs early.
Good idea there. Never know when one of the bulbs might mysteriously burn out for no reason. If I had the money I'd keep at least one spare bulb per fixture handy.

As for replacing the bulbs, I plan on running mine until they no longer work. I've got about 9 months on my AH Supply bulb and it still grows plants wonderfully. Some people think 6-8 months is a good time to change.....to me that's just tossing a perfectly good bulb away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts