The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I completely redid my tank... thorough cleaning and all new plants :) I set up the Co2 right away, and I have my lights set for one bulb for now (96w over 40g) to prevent algae. I also have a bunch of stem plants (although they are young and rather small atm). My question is... when should I start dosing (I have greg watson ferts)? I do not want another algae problem to develop. Will dosing right away cause algae, or will waiting cause algae? Also, any other algae preventing tips would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
On my High light tank I waited a 1-2wks before dosing but I was using ADA aquasoil. I think you should wait a week maybe and then dose half doses till it's ready but that's just my opinion. Someone that knows better will come along shortly to guide you.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I usually just start dosing per the EI table, knowing I will be doing a 50% water change in a week anyway. Algae isn't induced to grow by overdosing a balanced diet of nutrients anyway.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I know I'm still a newbie, and don't know nearly as much as 95% of the people here, but my fish did not react well to the ferts I started with. It was way understocked, yet I still had fish die. If you have fish in the tank, ease them into it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts