The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so I've had my RCS for quite sometime now and I was wondering when do know you have to add new shrimp "genes" to the tank to keep it going? I don't notice anything I havent before with my RCS so I assume they are fine, but It would be nice to know:hihi:. Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Interesting thought. I started with 6 RCS and have probably close to hundred now. Since they are in a 46 gallon with about 30 fish, I suppose the weak ones get picked off. I can't imagine how many I would have if they were in a tank without fish! I've had Guppy's from the same gene pool in the same tank for 5 years and haven't noticed any weakness there either. With the Guppys I know, the weak young are picked off. Of course, the Guppys are kind of stupid, swimming into the net and drain hose.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting thought. I started with 6 RCS and have probably close to hundred now. Since they are in a 46 gallon with about 30 fish, I suppose the weak ones get picked off. I can't imagine how many I would have if they were in a tank without fish! I've had Guppy's from the same gene pool in the same tank for 5 years and haven't noticed any weakness there either. With the Guppys I know, the weak young are picked off. Of course, the Guppys are kind of stupid, swimming into the net and drain hose.
hey hbosman, thanks for the reply. 5 yrs is pretty long, I've had mine for about 2yrs or so and its a shrimp only tank. They breed a lot, but I never seen a colony of 100. I would say like 40s - 50s.

·
Registered
987 Posts
You could add more genes at anytime. It wouldn't really be necessary, but it would give your stock an advantage but possibly an advantage you wouldn't really notice. If you have lower grade stock try adding some higher grades or just add shrimp that you know are from a different pool.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If I found some RCS that had better red than mine I would add them to my stock and improve the genes. I've done that a few times with my CRS. Other than that, I do not worry.

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.