The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, about 2 1/2 months ago my fat head minnows had babies. I tried to raise them all, but only 2 survived. Well now they have a 10g tank all to them selves, and I want to use it as a QT tank.

They are about 2 cm long, and they are eating normal food. Am I safe to add them to the community? Inhabitants are - 2 minnws (about 3 inches long), 4 zebra danios, and 1 lonely otto (I want to add more, but need a qt tank).

The tank is well planted, with some hyacinth so they have a nice place to hide if need be.

I just don't want them eaten.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I think they might be big enough now not to be viewed as snack by adult fish.
Minnow's and Danio's have small mouth's and plant's would give the fry some security.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay. I thought so, I just wanted some advice from someone with experience. Looks like a project for this weekend

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I don't know that type fish but with others, I find much depends on the fish genes involved in each type. Some fish are programmed to know how and when to hide. You might want to add a couple and watch the action. If the adults come around and the fry duck for cover, they may be tuned in well and do fine. But if they are like neon tetras and their idea of escape is going to the top, they may be eaten.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts