The Planted Tank Forum banner

When to add fish after Columnaris attack?

916 3
Its been about a week since my Columnaris attack ended and the loss was luckily only 1 Dwarf Gourami, I can get to My LFS tommorrow to pick up some Cory's... Too early? i havent seen any signs of it since last Sunday, i did a few 50% hardcore gravel vacs, lowered the temp to low 70's to try and prevent it from spreading and appears to have worked, I would like to know if i can add the Cory's or is it too soon? 40 gallon display tank, Not a breeder
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Its hard to say. If it was truly columnaris you should wait a few weeks especially if you are not going to QT the new fish. Introducing new pathogens from the new fish to your tank while it is in a stressed state may cause a relapse. You got lucky only losing one fish, most lose everything and nuke the tank.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
i would wait a month.
your current fish's immune systems have memory of the flexibacter and will not succumb to it soon unless there is a serious decline in immune function (like say your heater breaks and the water temp start fluctuating). new fish however, could catch columnaris from any bacteria still in the water, particularly since they will be very stressed.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm... well looks like im going to have to wait a good while until i can start to add new fish. Might look into quarentineing them for the simple fact that tomorrow is the only time in the current Month that i can really make a run to my LFS... Fall Sports, Etc...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.