The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my tank about 3 months now and have added plants in the last 2 months. I have:

Plants:
cryptocoryne lutea
Amazon sword
Hygrophilia compact
Wisteria
Anachrias

My LFS said he didn't think I needed any fertilizer with what I had at the moment. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I will presume that you have a fair amount of fish and this is the reason you believe
it to not be needed. The Wisteria will develope holes in the older leaves as it grows telling you that yes it's lacking and in this case, the Wisteria uses K and is often called a Potasium hog because of how much it uses of it. Till then just watch the speed of it's growth and a slow down in that also indicates a lack of. Till then you may want to read up on it.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=107303

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Lighting is the factor here. In lower to med light levels you may be able to get by with little to no ferts, especially the plants you have in there now. I kept nearly the same plant list as some of my first plants and it took me a few months before I started to work with ferts. Didn't seem to affect plants too much until I upped my light levels. There is definitely a point where the light will force you to adopt the use of ferts.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a pleco that is covering the tank with waste, I haven't had my water tested in a few weeks. I jabs a total oh 1 pleco, 4 danios, 2 tetras and 1molly. My lighting is fairly low.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
And how are the plants doing? If they are healthy, I don't see where you need too much of anything. Some of those plants may not do well under low light.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts