The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up my 29 gal tank. I just got some Soil master and a 2x65 light. I am going to use DIY co2. I already have some plants in my 90 gal (low light). I was going to use 50% water from my 90 gal which has had fish in it for 3 yrs and the rest RO.

How long should I wait to move the plants from my 90 to my 29 ?

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
165 Posts
Im sort of new to this too but i was told that you should move your plants over the minute you have the tank set up and running. Fish you should wait on tho.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Yes, definitely add your plants to the tank right away! They will assist in cycling. I started with a ton of plants, added BioSpira and fish that same day and never lost any fish. I've been told that a heavy plant load will make BioSpira unnecessary for cycling but, I used it anyway, just to be sure.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Yes, definitely add your plants to the tank right away! They will assist in cycling. I started with a ton of plants, added BioSpira and fish that same day and never lost any fish. I've been told that a heavy plant load will make BioSpira unnecessary for cycling but, I used it anyway, just to be sure.
Not to start a Debate. Personally, I would (and Do) skip the bioSpira and use Seachem's Stablity. Shelf-life of 4yrs and, Yes, it works! Its just bacteria--so it cannot be "overdosed"--so overdose it! I do, have and will continue! :icon_mrgr

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I would not add the water from an existing tank. Sure it will contain some bacteria. But the beneficial bacteria are surface dwelling. They primarily live on the surfaces of the aquarium and not in the water column.

Filter material or substrate is a much better choice to use.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would not add the water from an existing tank. Sure it will contain some bacteria. But the beneficial bacteria are surface dwelling. They primarily live on the surfaces of the aquarium and not in the water column.

Filter material or substrate is a much better choice to use.

I was wondering about that, but I was also wondering if the plants would benefit from the nitrate in the exiting tank water?

Thanks for all of the replies ! this is Great info. I was going to move the plants last night but wanted to wait until I heard from you guys!

Man I have a lot of newbie hornwort ! I filled a 5 gal bucket ! :icon_eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts