The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so today I wen to my lfs and I saw shrimps for sale! But further inspection the green baubulatis were priced for 6.99 a PIECE! And the grade A crs was 8.99
And the CBS was 7.99. And they had Sakura reds for 5.99 and I know those are over priced because there was a lfs that shut down that sold em for 2.99. Then I went to my other lfs like 3 blocks away in Chinatown then they had cherry shrimp that are not as red with some clear spots for 2.00 and buy 5 get 1 free and buy 10 get 3 free ( he's a Asian ). We know each other so I buy 5 I get 2 free and I buy 10 I get 5 free... So I was wondering are they worth as much because once my tank comes in the mail ( bought at amazon ) I would add some plants cycle it and buy their shrimps but I was also worried about their pricing as well as interbreeding because they mix the green baubulati with the crs. I also bought some bamboo shrimps 5.00 a piece they were brown and a dark brown that looks kinda black. The Asian guy that gives me some free stuff some times told me that people make it more expensive so then they can get more money because they need it for the workers and the water lighting etc. thanks for reading :)

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
the green won't cross with crs. No problems there.

"The Asian guy that gives me some free stuff some times told me that people make it more expensive so then they can get more money because they need it for the workers and the water lighting etc. thanks for reading "

Sounds logical, but save your money and buy from here on the TPT selling board. Often the hobbiests are very serious about their craft and you'll get a higher quality product. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I got pretty lucky at a lfs a while back with some s+ tiger tooth CRS, so it might be worth waiting or buying from someone on the forums if you really want a nice grade. If you want some practice at raising shrimp maybe go for the local stuff to save on some money.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Honestly with those prices and the quality you described for the cherry shrimp, I really believe you are better off buying off people in this forum in the For Sale/Trade section (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153).

Cherry shrimp that have clear spots I would pay MAX $1.00 each.

I already see a thread in the For Sale/Trade section where someone is selling Painted Fire Red shrimp @ $1.50 each lol and offers $10 shipping USPS priority.

PFRs for $1.50 each vs Cull worthy cherries for $2.00 each

If you buy a decent amount of the PFR from the guy you get more bang for your buck. In addition to that, he says he'd work with any DOAs that may occur.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
You sound new to how lfs (and general retail) works. Prices are marked up based on their cost and account for operational overhead and shrinkage. Don't expect a general LFS to compete on price with local shrimp hobbyists online.

Haven't seen quality red shrimps for sale on sns in a while. Honestly, sns is good for particular breeds. Tts, tigers, rilis and others that breed true are fine candidates. If you just starting out and aren't too concerned with quality, sns may work for you.

Personally I would sooner pick up a few high quality shrimps from a lfs than get 10-15 mixed quality packs off the web simply because I prefer quality over quantity and don't buy anymore low-grade shrimp at all. In my case, the option to hand pick your own livestock warrants the extra cost, but ymmv. $3-5 for a seriously dark painted fire red is well worth the price IMHO. Not so for clearish or spotty cherries. Then again, I wouldn't buy cherries for $1 either...

Um something less talked about is the $10+ required to ship. Your $1 So so grade shrimp on sns quickly become $2 each ones. Lol

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Cherry shrimp that have clear spots I would pay MAX $1.00 each.

I already see a thread in the For Sale/Trade section where someone is selling Painted Fire Red shrimp @ $1.50 each lol and offers $10 shipping USPS priority.

PFRs for $1.50 each vs Cull worthy cherries for $2.00 each

If you buy a decent amount of the PFR from the guy you get more bang for your buck. In addition to that, he says he'd work with any DOAs that may occur.
A more objective view would be $2.50 pfr's (including shipping) vs $2.00 regular cherries to compare apples to apples. Id also wager the pfr offspring sold are also not of the same caliber as their parents. They may be red but highly transparent. They may turn a tinge redder over five or six molts but will forever remain transparent. Keeping generations of these guys will provide insight on spotting signs of poor breeding practices (commonly heavy inbreeding)

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I agree, I would buy from reputable sellers here on TPT, i.e. the ones with high ptrader ratings and ptrader raters.

I do like to see my purchase once in awhile, so I like to buy my PFR's from Buffalo, NY. I can pick out the reddest ones. Though I haven't gone wrong buying PFR's from Mordalphus.

·
Registered
506 Posts
It's hit or miss with the LFS. If you can trade in plants and get free babaulti greens then it's great. I was getting OEBTs for under 5 each. Often times their CRS are low grade with poor white coverage, and they are often keeping them in the wrong conditions, so they may just die. The plus side of the LFS is you can just buy a couple shrimp to try out, and they might let you cherry pick the best specimens in the tank. Plus you could get some adults, rather than 3 mm pee wees you may never see again once you dump them in your planted tank. You can get great deals from hobbyists online, but usually your going to be talking at least 10 shimp to make it worth everyones time. 7-8 dollars per CRS/CBS is probably fair if they are quality shrimp, considering how much risk there is involved to keep them alive. As others have mentioned LFS has huge overhead so they have to reflect that in their pricing, but they can be an invaluable resource if you have a good one, so sometimes it pays to support them. It would be a shame to see these places disappear leaving us with the petsmarts and the walmarts of the world, who will never place a special order for you, or give you store credit for your plants.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.