The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just bleached my QT after a bad batch of fish died, along with the heater, filter, tank cover, siphon and tubing, and fish net. It's a 10G tank, and I added maybe 2/3 of a gallon of Clorox bleach and mixed it with water, let it soak for maybe an hour or two, and then emptied it and soaked the equipment in a 5G bucket with water and also filled the tank up with water and stuck the empty Aquaclear filter on it so I could move the water.

To both the bucket and the tank I added a ton of Prime (25x overdose to the bucket and maybe 5-10x overdose to the tank). I left it running for about 7 days now, and the water in the tank is forming some bubbles/foam on the surface and has also become very cloudy. As far as the stuff in the bucket goes, I pulled out the siphon and tubing and the tubing was slimy and looked milky white instead of its usual color.

Anybody have any insight as to whether or not that's normal? Is it due to bleaching or extra Prime? I emptied both the bucket and tank and refilled them both with new water, and this time I did more normal Prime dosages (1.5x on the tank and maybe 2-3x on the bucket because the bucket is so small and I just put 1mL of Prime in anyway).

Should I get some media in the filter and seed it with some floss from my main tank to see if bacteria will grow and I can establish a cycle? If bacteria can grow, I assume that that means it'll be safe to put fish in?

Thanks,
VeeSe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,732 Posts
That is WAY more bleach than you need. A cup full would have been MORE than needed. I would rinse, very excessively.

However, once dry, bleach is gone and leaves behind nacl.

If you smell chlorine, I would continue to rinse.

The slime could be from prime, proteins, or just dust and gunk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I will leave it running again for awhile. I could smell the bleach easily late on the first day, but now, one week later, I can't smell anything. If I take all of my equipment (heater, net, etc) out and let it dry, they should be good to go then as long as I give them ample time to dry? They've also been soaking in dechlor water for a week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
try to clean everything with vinigar tank and all equiptment and run the viniger through ur filters
white viniger
Don't vinegar and bleach react to form a very toxic gas that can kill you? There's probably not enough bleach left in my case to do any damage, but I heard very bad things about mixing vinegar and bleach, like people going to the ER and dying, etc.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top