The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
At night like the others. But I have so many zones it takes several hours to get through them all and it has to be done before my wife puts the dogs out in the kennel for the day. I only do it a couple times a week also because running that pump makes the electric bill skyrocket.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Watering your lawn is best done from around midnight to sunrise. You want to wait until the temperature goes down and the humidity level rises. Several short runs are more effective than longer runs. I run four ten minute ones across 6 spans.

Right now in my city they only want people to water weekly... I've been doing this for years. You do need to mulch when you mow not bag it. The clippings help to hold the moisture in and build up the worm population. The worms help keep the lawn aerated through the season.

I'm in California as well but stayed away from the HOA's. I already pay the government and my wife to tell me what I can't do. I don't see the need pay anyone else to do the same.

I'm really sorry that the neighbor with the pepto bismal colored house moved. The new owners painted it a dull tan and brown. Makes it harder to give landmarks for visitors.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Are watering ordinances in CA only from HOAs?

Here in FL they come from the county/city. You can get some seriously hefty fines if you violate them, and depending on the local regulations, get your water shut off if you don't pay the fines!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Here in Southern California, water ordinance comes from the city.
HOA ordinance is to maintain a nice clean trim yard.

We are currently in Phase 2 water conservation where you can only water 3 times a week. It's going into Phase 3 next month and you can only water 2 times a week.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The house i rent, the land lord gets notices from the city if the lawn isn't green enough. Of course when they had the inexpensive yard maintenance crew install sprinklers they put 360's on the border to the neighbor's lawn so i get a dead spot in the center of the larger section of lawn. So when I do water changes i dump the water around that spot.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
Are watering ordinances in CA only from HOAs?

Here in FL they come from the county/city. You can get some seriously hefty fines if you violate them, and depending on the local regulations, get your water shut off if you don't pay the fines!
No clue out of my area but up here in the north, it really depends on the water district you're in. Some have suggested everyone cut back like 25% others had said nothing yet. A while back the City of Redding was doing a surcharge for users weren't using 20% less than the year prior. Our rain and snow up here is only at 50% of normal. I bet as soon as it gets hot we'll start seeing some restrictions.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.