The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I rebuilt my tank last week with an eco-complete substrate. My plants have been in for about 5 days now and i read that i was supposed to avoid ferts while the tank cycled. True ? But its been only 5 days and many of the plants i have spent all this money on are already starting to look bad. Holes in the leaves etc.

At what point do i start to dose ferts ?

I really dont want to lose all these plants. I have good light (3 wpg) and CO2 around 20 ppm (all i can seem to get out of a nutrafin yeast system) and eco as my substrate.

James

·
Registered
202 Posts
How soon do you feed a new baby?

my philosophy is when it needs to grow.

i.e. when it is born and needs food to survive and grow.

I feel that plants (particularly when bought emmersed) need a couple of days before they will start bedding down. At that stage, particularly with new tanks that probably have alot of nutrients floating around, I do a 50% water change and start dosing and watching.

I don't believe you need 100% full dosing until the plants are actively using the co2 and fertiliser and light in the water.

this similar to some people's philosphy of running short photo periods for the first couple of weeks.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Where do these nutrients come from in a new tank? If they are in the source water then you never need to feed. If they are put there by pixies in the middle of the night then get those buggers working full time.

Dose from the start.

Philosphy is a fancy word for "I don't know so I'm making it up".

·
Registered
118 Posts
So if you dose from the start, do you use low doses until you have cycled? I wouldn't think you could use EI to start out because you are suppose to do water changes each week ?

So what dosing regiment should someone use on a new tank? dose 1 or 2 times a week for the first 4 weeks then go to 3x a week with water changes?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
So if you dose from the start, do you use low doses until you have cycled? I wouldn't think you could use EI to start out because you are suppose to do water changes each week ?

So what dosing regiment should someone use on a new tank? dose 1 or 2 times a week for the first 4 weeks then go to 3x a week with water changes?
Personally, I've always treated it like a mature tank. Apparently this isn't a good idea with ADA AS, but, otherwise--that's what I've always done. :proud:

·
Registered
9,600 Posts

Dose from the start with the normal regime. Do water changes. Cycling a planted tank is totally different than cycling any other tank. The faster those plants are growing the better off you are.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.