The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really stirred things up in the 58 tonight during a pruning and managed to capture another Black Cherry/Rainbow/Black Midget & one of a few Green shrimp that I had put in a while back. After moving them and allowing them to settle in to the 10 gallon shrimp tank, I noticed the Green is saddled. Are the eggs already fertilized at this point, or will the eggs just be dropped if there's no male of the species to fertilize them? I hope they're already fertile. I'd love to get these Green guys breeding!

Tommy

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
In my experience with Cherry shrimp, a lone female did not get eggs. Ever. As soon as I added a male, I had eggs.

So in my experience, female shrimp only get eggs when they have already mated. I don't believe that females will drop their eggs because of infertile problems, but rather water quality problems.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just did a google search and got the info from shrimpnow!.com. If the female is saddled, she is not necessarily fertilized. The eggs develop in the ovaries, then she molts and is fertilized. The fertilized eggs then continue to develop and move to the swimmerettes. Unfertilized eggs do the same but are soon dropped after moving to the swimmerettes. Darn. I was hoping to have a brood of Greens. Maybe I'll get lucky and she was already fertilixed in the 58. I may have other Greens in there. Iafterall, I didn't know I had this one until tonight.

Tommy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts