The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got in my sweet Hanna Primo TDS meter that I bought on ebay to test my DI water and I was wondering if some of you that own TDS meters would chime in with what your TDS is in your planted tanks, so I can get an idea for what "normal" is.

Don't be shy!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have very soft New York water. Tap water TDS reading is about 38. After adding Equilibrium, Magnesium Sulfate, Macro, and Micro - my TDS reading would be around 140.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I have very soft New York water. Tap water TDS reading is about 38. After adding Equilibrium, Magnesium Sulfate, Macro, and Micro - my TDS reading would be around 140.
Do you know the GH of your tap water? Would it be the same in Long Island - Babylon? Just wondering if it would be worthwhile for me to bring 5 gallon jerry cans with me when I visit inlaws up there.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Same water supply. Both GH and KH are less than 1 degree. Phosphate is high in our tap water, around 2ppm.

For my 100 gallon tank, I add the following to raise both GH and KH to around 2 degrees.

-4 tsp of Equilibrium (mostly Potassium)
-4 tsp of Calcium Carbonate (hard to dissolve so I get the very fine powder kind, it raises both GH and KH by the same amount)
-1 tsp of Magnesium Sulfate (Equilibrium in my opinion is low on both Magnesium and Calcium - I like to get my calcium to around 10ppm and Magnesium around 5ppm. Don't worry to much about Ca;Mg ratio - as long as it's within target range, you'll be fine)
-1 tsp of Potassium Nitrate (I like to keep my Macro lean at around 10ppm of Nitrate and 1-2ppm of Phosphate) Some to the best tank I've seen are run lean, such as Scolley's and SurJe1976.

I use hybrid EI - I dose enough macro & micro everyday to maintain constant nutrient level. I use a lot of Flourish Iron, like 1ml per 10gallon everyday.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Wow your water is soft. Don't you have any rocks in NY? :hihi:

Good info, thanks alot. I was thinking of mixing it with Leesburg (Wash DC) water which is usually 8 GDH and 6 KDH. We have very little phosphate so If I mix 50 50, I should have the hardness and phosphate within reasonable limits. I would have to dose KNO3 and csm+B and I would be good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts