The Planted Tank Forum banner

Embers vs. Espei

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to use one of the choices listed above as a center school for my 95G which will be housed with 9 roselines. No mater which one I end up with, I'll be adding atleast 50, maybe more.

I've chosen to go with red/orange colored fish because it's a color not seen much in my tank that's housed with crypts. I think they'd also look nice against the blue background which I'm stuck with.

I'd prefer to hear from people with experience but anyone's opinion is most welcome. I would like to know about their behavior and how they would interact with the roselines, potential predators and open space as I don't have any wood or hardscape in the center of the tank.

With adding this school my objective is to create a large school of smaller fish accented by a small school of larger fish.

I googled info and YouTube videos of both and espei's seem to be better at schooling yet I used to have harlequins and eventually they stopped schooling, worrying me that the espei's might result in the same.

So which one should I choose?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I voted ember - they are different from the usual fish which is nice.

IME both ember and espei will break up into very loose shoaling (rather than tight schooling) as soon as they get comfortable, although in your case the roselines should help keep the smaller fish on edge. Having a huge school helps a lot too - I've never had that many embers or espeis at once, but I have found that my school of 60 green neons schools most of the time even without any threatening fish around (a group of 20 didn't school nearly as much).

Can't comment on either fish's compatibility with roselines. If I had a 95 gal I think I'd just do a big school of roselines though - I've seen one or two tanks that did this and they looked fantastic (but I always think it looks better to have fewer species of fish in a tank).

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I voted ember - they are different from the usual fish which is nice.

IME both ember and espei will break up into very loose shoaling (rather than tight schooling) as soon as they get comfortable, although in your case the roselines should help keep the smaller fish on edge. Having a huge school helps a lot too - I've never had that many embers or espeis at once, but I have found that my school of 60 green neons schools most of the time even without any threatening fish around (a group of 20 didn't school nearly as much).

Can't comment on either fish's compatibility with roselines. If I had a 95 gal I think I'd just do a big school of roselines though - I've seen one or two tanks that did this and they looked fantastic (but I always think it looks better to have fewer species of fish in a tank).
Could you elaborate as to how they're different?

I feel like they'll school closer with the roselines and the open space that I have, updated the OP with a picture of my tank, sorry it's not even close to clear but you get the idea.

These two will be the main species of fish accommodated with some BNP's, SAE's and Amanos. Nothing big.

I've tried Cardinals and they didn't seem to school in my tank and I don't feel like adding any more as they'll just be a bigger PITA to take out.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just meant that embers aren't fish you see everyday, whereas everyone and their uncle has harlies (harlequin rasboras) in their tank (espeis are pretty much identical to harlies).

I expect your cardinals will school a bit more with a bunch of roselines in there as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had about 25 espies with 11 rummies in my tank. They ended up into 3-4 seperate groups of ~8 hanging in the bottom or top far corners. Kind of annoying. The rummies schooled wonderfully though, lol.

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just meant that embers aren't fish you see everyday, whereas everyone and their uncle has harlies (harlequin rasboras) in their tank (espeis are pretty much identical to harlies).

I expect your cardinals will school a bit more with a bunch of roselines in there as well.
Oh I see what you mean.

Yea the cardinals never schooled much for me and every tank that I've seen with cardinals, they only hover in place and never really swim much.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Espei would be my choice. Embers are really nice but very small in size to add with your roselines. Your roselines should get around 7 inches which in turn your embers will be perfect snacks for them. Not too sure if 50 embers will do them justice in such a large tank. With the roselines schooling, the espei may very well school much tighter. Good luck on you decision!

·
Premium Member
5,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Espei would be my choice. Embers are really nice but very small in size to add with your roselines. Your roselines should get around 7 inches which in turn your embers will be perfect snacks for them. Not too sure if 50 embers will do them justice in such a large tank. With the roselines schooling, the espei may very well school much tighter. Good luck on you decision!
How many would you recommend? There's about 15 gallons in the back that's taken up due to a built in sump.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The rasboras, I would try at least 30. I currently have 30 fully grown adults in my 75g thick with plants and they they seem to look fine in there. I think it all depends on how full you want it to look. You could always add more to the tank if you think that the amount is too low.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
I would choose espei rasboras for a few reasons. First, I think they are a nicer, brighter, more attractive fish. Secondly, they school tighter and more directionally, which will help offset the beauty and behavior of the roselines. Third, they inhabit more the top third of the tank, while roselines are more midwater, I think this will work out. Embers tend to scatter all over. Fourth, they are slightly broader bodied them embers. Fifth they are more outgoing. Embers can sometimse be a little shy, and I think they would end up hanging out at either end of your tank, rather then utilizing the open space.

I have kept fish of comparable size to both with roselines and it worked out fine. I don't find roselines to be particularly predatory.

I also disagree that espeis are super similar to harlies. They are more copper colored, have a more attractive "wedge" pattern, and a very different body shape. In conditioned coloring, they are absolutely stunning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts