The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently started experimenting with different veggies and my shrimp just go nuts for squash. :hihi: I am trying to dehydrate a batch to see if they like it as much. It would definitely be easier and they could have it more often. (we don't eat squash much).

Anyone want to try some? I will send a couple of chunks to 4-5 people if they want some.:biggrin:

·
Registered
845 Posts
I make my own too! Dehydrating is easy and really convenient. I use stuff like kale, spinach, zucchini, garlic, etc. They go wild over it. I don't do the blanching of veggies anymore. It's just too messy.

·
Registered
889 Posts
The only thing I actually have seen my RCS love is dry leaves :p And they pick at algae and stuff on the rocks, they also liked blanched zucchini. I never saw them eating anything else I feed them.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I make my own too! Dehydrating is easy and really convenient. I use stuff like kale, spinach, zucchini, garlic, etc. They go wild over it. I don't do the blanching of veggies anymore. It's just too messy.
You should mostly if not ALWAYS blanch veggies for several reasons before dehydrating them. So Please, blanch then Dehydrate!

As for foods, Lots of stuff. Spinach flakes and my other homemade things are on the top, also with Rain/Satu's stuff!

-Andrew

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You should mostly if not ALWAYS blanch veggies for several reasons before dehydrating them. So Please, blanch then Dehydrate!

As for foods, Lots of stuff. Spinach flakes and my other homemade things are on the top, also with Rain/Satu's stuff!

-Andrew
I baked it then dehydrated it. Not sure how you could blanch a squash??:biggrin: I've always fed my shrimp baked squash and thought if I could dehydrate it- it might make it easier to give them a snack that they love more often.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I baked it then dehydrated it. Not sure how you could blanch a squash??:biggrin: I've always fed my shrimp baked squash and thought if I could dehydrate it- it might make it easier to give them a snack that they love more often.
Alright I'll try to explain this. I haven't slept for the past 3 days really... So I might be a bit off.

Blanching- makes the veggie looser so to speak, Can't think of a better term. It gets the food prepared to be dehydrated. It also helps to break up the food (Bonds I guess you would say) so it's easier to eat. It will also kill anything on it.

Baking- Same thing as dehydrating Without the blanching, will take longer.

I have blanched squash and cucumber. I have also just washed veggies and thrown it in the tank but you really shouldn't do this since you never know what could be on them...

Hope this helped some.

-Andrew

·
Banned
560 Posts
The only thing I actually have seen my RCS love is dry leaves :p And they pick at algae and stuff on the rocks, they also liked blanched zucchini. I never saw them eating anything else I feed them.
Have you looked in your tank about 15 minutes AFTER you throw the food in? Throw in some a algae wafer and give it a few minutes. I would be willing to bet you will see them eating it.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Mine eat anything with approximately the same eagerness. It's not like I give them a survey every now and then.

That being said, I usually give mine Hikari algae wafer pieces, and occasionally a small piece of Hikari frozen meaty foods.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.