The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know which subject this would go under so I just put it here as they Eat algea.

What is your favorite type of snail?
And why?
Also please Tell us something about this snail species that you found interesting or just some facts.

OR
What is your favorite Non-fish in the tank? [If you hate snails]
Why?
Something you found Interesting or just some facts.

I thought it would be fun to find out everyone elses favorite.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ramhorn
They are just very pretty, unique looking snails.
I have 3 1-2"+ ramhorn's in my cherry tank. A red/orange, black and a brown one along with a few smaller ones. They are very cute with there antenna's and foot like body. I absolutely adore them and have NO problems with them eating my plants

·
Registered
284 Posts
a dead one....LOL not trying to crap on this thread but it was the first thing that came to my mind. I do love my Amano shrimp.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
one that is squished between my fingers....

Oh I love my Olive Nerites.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I like ramshorns. I have brown, tan, pastel orange and traffic-cone neon orange ones, and I'm working on breeding the orange ones selectively. They come in so many neat colors, it is cool to see what sort of stuff will pop up. In my "sherbert" breeder colony of ramshorns, the bright orange ones look like berries in the green bushes. Very pretty.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I like the ones with garlic butter ;)

and my MTS of course :)

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I like ramshorns. I have brown, tan, pastel orange and traffic-cone neon orange ones, and I'm working on breeding the orange ones selectively. They come in so many neat colors, it is cool to see what sort of stuff will pop up. In my "sherbert" breeder colony of ramshorns, the bright orange ones look like berries in the green bushes. Very pretty.
Jen...do they do well in CO2 tanks? My Olive Nerites take a beating.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hard to decide (and I too thought of this when I read the topic: "My favorite snail is a dead snail", it just fits :D), they are all so pretty. But maybe one of the newest acquisitions, Tarebia granifera is pretty, blue and pink/white ramshorns are pretty too, but I do like them all. :)

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Fresh_newby, nah, not really. Once the pH drops below 7 they really start to take a beating. For breeding I try to keep them mostly in my tapwater tanks (pH above 8, great for snails) and they like that better.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Even though I never had one nor do I know where to get any I would have to say my favourite is the blue ramshorns! I like the little brown ones i have but The blue ones seem an interesting colour. I have these little white "ramshorns" which probably belong to the Genus Gyraulus that i keep in my 2 gallon. I love those guys too. very cute, like mini ramshorns that shells stay paralel with the surface.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Its worth mentioning that I once had a breeding group of apple snails that wouldn't touch a plant for anything! Most people say they're a disaster with plants.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
I really like olive nerites. They help eat gsa, and maybe staghorn as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts