The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a while now finally decided to make an account and post. I love nature style planted tanks with shrimp, colorful plants, and large schools of fish. Theres just so many different types of plants to choose form that its overwhelming.

What are your guys favorite plants and why? You can list several.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am new to growing aquarium plants and am trying out different types, as I have quite a few tanks, ahem.

Mosses: China Moss, Fissidens sp. Geppi, Fissidens sp. Fox

Floaters: Red Root Floaters, Azolla Pinnata (TINY fern)

Hydrocotyle sp. 'Japan' because you can use it in so many ways and it has small leaves.

I really like Nymphaea sp Santarem too.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Lots of faves -

Most of the small crypts - esp C. parva
Limnophila hippuridoides
Pogostemon helferi (Downoi)
Several of the Bucephalandras
Lobelia cardinalis (Cardinal plant)

and the list goes on. lol

·
Registered
382 Posts
Limnophila Aromatica, Rotala Macrandra, Hygrophila Polysperma Sunset, Pogostemon Stellatus, Ludwigia Red, and Starougyne Repens are my favorites at the moment, but it is subject to change.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Rotala Mini Butterfly, Tonina Fluviatilis, Ludwigia Pantanal, Ludwigia sp. red, Eriocaulon Australia, Red root floater (if you manage to get it red). Yeah, I have a thing for red plants.

·
Registered
782 Posts
+1 java fern. Its stupid proof, pretty, cheap, prolific, grows in any light, never seems to attract algae in my tank, gets ignored by the pest snails that have evaded my assassin snale, and comes in several varieties (trident is my current favorite). Even my "black thumb" plant-murdering room mate has some in with his betta, and HE can't kill the stuff.

Dwarf nymphaea and needle leaf rotala are also beautiful and don't give me grief.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Lol thats a loaded question!!! I have many:

Hygrophila Pinnatifida - Because of its unique foilage
Ludwigia sp. Red - The Red on this plant is almost unmatched
Ludwigia Senegalensis - The colors on this plant are fanastic
Limnophila Sessiflora - Super easy and fast growing. Illegal to transport over state lines though :(
Mini Pelia - Really nice foilage, different from other moss
Crypt Nurii var. Pahang Mutated - Foilage on this plant has a unique pattern that looks fantastic

These are the plants that I really dig... at least for the moment :) I feel that your favorite plant list changes as you gain experience, as well as the specific specs and look you are going for in a particular tank.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.