The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wouldn't say my tank is quite over run with ram horns and bladder snails- but they are VERY successful, have some ninja amano(like) shrimp that look good when they show themselves, have a mini crayfish (1 inch) that is also looking good (got him to work on snails). I purchased some nerites a month ago that clammed up and expired in a week and recently wanted to try out a little different horned snail that are about 1/2in in diameter with horns pointing rearwards- looks like they are going to suffer the same fate. Just wanted to know if you are resigned to the fact conditions are not conducive to these snails but the regular snails pretty much runs riot.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I had a similar experience with nerites from a local fish store. I waited a week in between purchases to see if the ones at the store made it longer than the ones I put in my tank. Both times I added them to the tank and they were in a couple days and seemed fine, then they stopped moving and died. Every other type of snail I added does fine, but my luck with nerites has not been good.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very sensitive to something. Looking for something to clean up and eat algae and leave the plants alone. And look good doing it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Id be curious if its a ph related thing. My nerite likes a ph thats higher, like 7.5+, and my mystery snail seems to like it about neutral, like 7.0, and my ramshorns and bladder snails are doing excellent regardless. I have found a happy medium at about 7.4-7.6 and my mystery snail has just adjusted and stays near the highly oxygenated areas of the tanks. Point being, check your ph before and wafter water changes and see whats going on there, that may be causing a stress on the larger snails. Good luck!
Im no expert, just a snail lover :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my ramshorns and bladder snails are doing excellent regardless.

Yes funny how the 'undesirables; flourish.

Went into the store on Saturday and took a water sample as well, overheard another customer mention they were having problems with the same smaller horned snail.

PH 8.0
Kh 10
Gh 8
He seemed happy with the parameters, nothing obvious- but suggested I try running Seachen Cuprisorb just in case.

Purchased a couple assassin's to try out- they were quite active as soon as I put them in the tank, haven't seen them since.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've had mixed results with Nerites. They seem to be very sensitive to medications and water parameter changes.

My bladder snails and mystery snails seem to do really well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Observed one assasin today- looks good. Gives me confidence for something else like a rabbit snail- should grab some MTS to turn over the gravel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had good luck with nerites, granted i've only had two but one is almost two years old and one that just turned one in December, but of course they are slightly older as I bought them at a store when they were already grown out. My pH is a little higher, 7.6 ish. I used to do water changes every 3 days but now just once a week and they seem fine. Does anyone know if tiger and zebras can breed? i have a female zebra and male tiger, female always lays eggs although i think now she is slowing down, maybe because of old age.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Id be curious if its a ph related thing. My nerite likes a ph thats higher, like 7.5+, and my mystery snail seems to like it about neutral, like 7.0, and my ramshorns and bladder snails are doing excellent regardless. I have found a happy medium at about 7.4-7.6 and my mystery snail has just adjusted..
I think it may wrll be a pH thing. I have had trouble with Nerites in low pH environments and in low GH aquariums. I recently killed my poor Nerite, Schnell in a low GH/pH tank. Instead of throwing her away, I accidentally flushed her because I was dumping out some water that was full of floating brown diatoms and I had tossed her into the same container. Well, after flushing, it was too late—I thought—but then two days later, I saw her making her way across my toil bowl! I rescued her from there (don’t even want to think what she’d been through), put her into clean dechlorinated tap water and then over a 24 hour period, I re-acclimated her to the aquarium she had been in. There was certainly plenty for her to eat on the glass and she started across, but early the next day, she had keeled over. I put her into part remineralized RO/DI and part tap water, which is pretty hard water with a very high KH. This happened two more times and each time I was able to resurrect her. Now, Scnell lives with my betta Vincent in water with GH of 5 and a pH of 7.2, which Vincent seems to like. She’s been living there for two weeks, and Vincent seems to be oblivious to the fact he has a tank mate. I won’t try to put her back into my larger, but lower pH aquarium, because I’m not sure if she has nine lives like a cat.

i’ve had four Nerites that lived two-three years, but all were in aquariums with pH of 7.0 to 7.4 because that’s what‘s recommended for Endlers.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Observed one assasin today- looks good. Gives me confidence for something else like a rabbit snail- should grab some MTS to turn over the gravel.
I'd skip the MTS and just add a half-dozen more assassin snails. They tunnel through substrate like MTS do, but they don't breed like mad and take over. As a bonus, they will keep your bladder and ramshorn snails under control, especially if you have a decent number of the assassins.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Added six assassins- look to be doing something and look ok too. Yoyo's are starting to munch on snail babies.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts