The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had six SAES in the tank from day one (about three weeks ago) Absolutely no problems so far, all are eating and look healthy.

Have had the same CO2 bubble rate since day one and they dont seem affected.

So today I bought 3 YoYo's and 6 Ottos.... After putting them in all seemed fine untill i came home four hours later and saw one SAE swimming upside down at the top of the water line... He appears to be eating or breathing? ONLY ONE SAE is doing this and in the same sopt in the tank...

I push him down with my finger and he swims away normally, but after about 3 minutes he does the same thing?

is he sick? should I get him out of there now?

***yes that is Nemo in the back ground... lol

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
I hope you quarantine the new fish first. You never know what diseases you're going to introduce into the tank.

However, the sae looks like eating the surface scum.
I have a flying fox that loves to hang out and display with my loach. It's a weird relationship.

·
Registered
16 Posts
He's plenty active.
Could he be eating the bio scum floating on the surface?
You need to post some perameters.
How long has the tank been set up?
Your pH etc?

Rick

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope you quarantine the new fish first. You never know what diseases you're going to introduce into the tank
I know I know... I should :frown: honestly I have never had a problem in the past.. guess I have just been really lucky... Would you recommend buying a 10 gallon tank and leaving it bare? what about filtration? how long to quarantine them?

thanks

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Looks like a healthy fish to me. I've never seen that behaviour, but your film on the top looks pretty thick.

All animals fight different diseases. The danger with fish, as with the rest of the animal kingdom, is when they stop eating. That SAE appears to be eating. My question would be why isn't he somewhere eating algae, which is why I got rid of my SAEs.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Just tested my water as follows:

PH 6.4

Nitrate =0
Ammonia=0
Nitrite=.25 ppm

GH-8

KH-7 or 8
the nitrite doesn't look good. your tank is still new. Do partial water changes every few days.

Yes, get a 10G or bigger tank for quarantining. A cheap HOB filter is fine for it. I just bought a new new 75G to replace my 29G.. The 29G will be my quarantine tank. I have no space for it so it's in my backyard right now under shade. The fishes are outside, doing fine, eating plenty of mosquito larvae. Obviously, I can't do this during the winter.

And quarantine for at least 2 weeks. Looks for any signs of disease during this time. If they look healthy, move them to the main tank.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
the nitrite doesn't look good. your tank is still new. Do partial water changes every few days.

Yes, get a 10G or bigger tank for quarantining. A cheap HOB filter is fine for it. I just bought a new new 75G to replace my 29G.. The 29G will be my quarantine tank. I have no space for it so it's in my backyard right now under shade. The fishes are outside, doing fine, eating plenty of mosquito larvae. Obviously, I can't do this during the winter.

And quarantine for at least 2 weeks. Looks for any signs of disease during this time. If they look healthy, move them to the main tank.
We all know the value of quarantine tanks, but does that look like a sick fish to you? Time will tell, but I think it looks ok, and I think it's unlikely that it contracted an illness in the 4 hours since the new fish were added.

I have more of an issue with seeing a fish doing unusual things and "pushing" him with a finger. I don't know nothing, but I can't see how that could help things.

This hobby is expensive enough. Quarantine tanks are not a requirement for entrance into this hobby.

edit: It looks like the SAE is eatin flake stuck to the surface film. And, I agree, Nitrites should be 0.

·
Registered
249 Posts
SAEs are pretty "funny" fish. Mine do all sorts of strange things. Maybe not the best algae eaters once they find flake, but pretty interesting/interactive fish.

Keep at the WCs!

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
We all know the value of quarantine tanks, but does that look like a sick fish to you? Time will tell, but I think it looks ok, and I think it's unlikely that it contracted an illness in the 4 hours since the new fish were added.

I have more of an issue with seeing a fish doing unusual things and "pushing" him with a finger. I don't know nothing, but I can't see how that could help things.

This hobby is expensive enough. Quarantine tanks are not a requirement for entrance into this hobby.

edit: It looks like the SAE is eatin flake stuck to the surface film. And, I agree, Nitrites should be 0.
Did I say his sae is sick? I don't recall saying that. must be your imagination. I was talking about his latest addition.
a 10G tank is what? $7-$10. How much is a cheap HOB? $20

And how much is it to buy new fish after all are found dead? How much is it for antibiotics and other meds? do the math.

my humble experienced opinion. I and most of us started out without a qt. Think of all the money we'd save if we had a qt.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
I agree with mistergreen. A small QT tank is worth it's weight in gold to avoid passing on parasites and disease brought in with new fish. And camillanus worms seems to be on the rise with fish. It's so much more inexpensive to treat a 10G tank with meds than say a 75G or a 125G. You don't need to keep the tank set up. Have a spare heater on hand and a small filter. Keep an extra sponge in your existing filter and pull it and put it into the QT filter when you did it so you don't have a cycling issue in the QT tank.

I would test that water daily and do daily 50% water changes. Nitrite poisoning can be just as deadly if not more than ammonia poisoning Especially to loaches and otos. Some fish are more sensitive than others to nitrite. But it can be deadly.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Did I say his sae is sick? I don't recall saying that. must be your imagination. I was talking about his latest addition.
a 10G tank is what? $7-$10. How much is a cheap HOB? $20

And how much is it to buy new fish after all are found dead? How much is it for antibiotics and other meds? do the math.

my humble experienced opinion. I and most of us started out without a qt. Think of all the money we'd save if we had a qt.
I'm sorry if I came off as rude. That wasn't my intention. I just respectfully disagree that a qt tank is a requirement. I also see you answered his question in the first post, which I didn't realize you had when I made my last post.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Looks like a healthy fish to me. I've never seen that behaviour, but your film on the top looks pretty thick.
That was my first observation. You may not be getting any O2 exchange with that layer of stuff on the surface. Are all those bubbles from your CO2 or from the plants pearling? Either way you need to get that film off the surface SAP. You shouldn't be "trapping" gas at the surface like that.

Tommy

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I also agree with having a Q tank and I think it really IS a requirement if you want to keep the rest of your fish healthy.

I also agree that it looks like he's eating the scum, which needs to be removed.

I also agree that you should stop poking your fish!

I am very agreeable today!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts