The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I need your help, please.
I just restarted my tank. I have several kind of plants in it but on some leafes i noticed something wrong. What could be the problem?
My water parameters:
-with drop test:
No3: ~12.5
No2: <0.3
Po4: 1(maybe a bit more)
Fe: 0.2
Gh:7
Kh:4
Ph:7
-with digital meter:
Tds: 142
Ph: 7.1

Filtering, co2, light(4x39wt5) are ok.

Nutrients: 3.5ml easy carbo, 5ml ga macro 5ml ga micro.(water: 140-50l net-180gross-)
Water changes: weekly 50% with RO water(19tds).

Ps.: can snails cause this? I bought some plants and a red moore(i fertilised it with boiled water....) from a "premium" shop and i brought some snails with it accidentally...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
What size is this tank and what light fixture are you using?
Four T5 bulbs is a lot of light, but it does depend on how far they are from the substrate.
And the quality of the reflectors in your fixture..

·
Planted Tanker
6,059 Posts
Just going by the pics it looks suspiciously like a nitrogen deficiency. Is most of the damage to older growth? Full tank shot and more pics would help.

The API liquid NO3 test is notorious for reading high. Not sure how you arrived at 12.5 ppm....hard to judge colors that precisely.

Also if you could give your dosing amounts in ppms, rather than 5 mls of this or 1/4 tsp of that, it would give a better idea what might be the issue.

But if you just restarted the tank it could be simply the shock or adaptation period.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses!

I restarted the tank about 1 month ago.
The 4x39w t5 are 30cm above the top of the tank. (odyssea quad 4x39w)
I arrived at 12.5ppm with the droptest. The color was clear like on this picture:

Unfortunatelly the content of nutrients given on the bottle are the following:
Micro:
in 1000ml aqueous solution

• (Fe) - 2 g/l (2000ppm)
  • (Mn) - 1 g/l (1000ppm)
  • (Cu) - 0,052 g/l (52ppm)
  • (Zn) - 0,29 g/l (29ppm)
  • (B) - 0,4 g/l (400ppm)
  • (Mo) - 0,075 g/l(75ppm)
  • HEEDTA !
  • Methyl Paraben (E218) - 1 g/l (1000ppm)
Macro

• (NO3) - 49 g/l (49000ppm)
  • (PO4) - 7 g/l (7000ppm)
  • (K) - 49,2 g/l (49200ppm)
  • Methyl Paraben (E218) - 1 g/l
I use it as EI dosing (5ml of micro and 5 ml of macro a day)

*EDIT* I convert the amounts to ppm with an online tool

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I use one(1) T5 bulb on my tank that is 12" above the sub. The Odyssea two bulb T5 fixture does 100PAR @ 12". That is why I take out one of the bulbs.
How far is it between the top of the substrate and the bottom of the bulbs ?

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
Hi All!

I need your help, please.
I just restarted my tank. I have several kind of plants in it but on some leafes i noticed something wrong. What could be the problem?
My water parameters:
-with drop test:
No3: ~12.5
No2: <0.3
Po4: 1(maybe a bit more)
Fe: 0.2
Gh:7
Kh:4
Ph:7
-with digital meter:
Tds: 142
Ph: 7.1

Filtering, co2, light(4x39wt5) are ok.

Nutrients: 3.5ml easy carbo, 5ml ga macro 5ml ga micro.(water: 140-50l net-180gross-)
Water changes: weekly 50% with RO water(19tds).

Ps.: can snails cause this? I bought some plants and a red moore(i fertilised it with boiled water....) from a "premium" shop and i brought some snails with it accidentally...
Hi adamf1988,

I looked over your pictures closely (thank you btw). Does any of this sound familiar?

2. Necrosis occurs at tip and margin of leaves causing a definite hook at leaf tip.
Calcium is essential for the growth of shoot and root tips (meristems). Growing point dies. Margins of young leaves are scalloped and abnormally green and, due to inhibition of cell wall formation, the leaf tips may be "gelatinous" and stuck together inhibiting leaf unfolding. Stem structure is weak and peduncle collapse or shoot topple may occur. Roots are stunted. Downward curl of leaf tips (hooking) occurs near terminal bud. ammonium or magnesium excess may induce a Calcium deficiency in plants... Calcium deficiency

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Alll!

I will shoot picture about the whole tank.

Seattle_Aquarist: its hard to say (for me), i will take another pictures which could help.
Raymond S.:
I have ~7cm of substrate. My Tank is 45cm high. The bulbs are ~25-30cm above the top of the tank. So the distance between the (top of the)substrate and the bulbs is 63-68cm.

I convert the given nutrients to dayli volume:

(Fe) - 2 g/l (2000ppm) (10ppm a day)
(Mn) - 1 g/l (1000ppm) (5ppm a day)
(Cu) - 0,052 g/l (52ppm) (0.26ppm a day)
(Zn) - 0,29 g/l (29ppm) (0.145ppm a day)
(B) - 0,4 g/l (400ppm) ( 2ppm a day)
(Mo) - 0,075 g/l(75ppm) (0.375ppm a day)
HEEDTA !
Methyl Paraben (E218) - 1 g/l (1000ppm)(5ppm a day)

Macro

(NO3) - 49 g/l (49000ppm) (245ppm a day)
(PO4) - 7 g/l (7000ppm) (35ppm a day)
(K) - 49,2 g/l (49200ppm) (246ppm a day)
Methyl Paraben (E218) - 1 g/l

I use it as EI dosing (5ml of micro and 5 ml of macro a day)

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
"I use it as EI dosing (5ml of micro and 5 ml of macro a day) "
Hopefully that is not both on the same days.
Once you said 68cm on the distance between the bulbs and sub I realized that it
isn't overkill as I first thought.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi!
Yes i use that dosage. The instructions of the item(and the producer's site) says that amount. With much light and with co2 and with 50%of water change a week you should use 1ml/20l/day.
I have 140 150l net water thats why i use 5ml of them( i do not raise it to 7ml yet).
(Please notice that the nutrient's amount is given in 1000ml solution. I convert it with an online tool to ppm and count my daily amounts (given amount in 1000ml/1000=1ml×5=5ml = my daily dosage))

I also shoot some other pictures. The parvula and ug are new plants(i ordered them before, yesterday arrived, and the half of the hm cuba is new too).

Attachments

·
Planted Tanker
6,059 Posts
It sounds like you are adding the right dosage in ml.

The point was, there's no way you are adding 10 ppm Fe, 245 ppm NO3, 35 ppm P.....every day!

Those are the values that seem to be 100x too high. At least divided by 100, it would sound much more reasonable.

Tank looks good to me. Especially if you've just moved everything in, or around. plants with big root systems like your sword, AR, hygro, sometimes they will sit idle for a while developing new roots. Not uncommon for some of the existing growth to start looking poor or die off.

I think you should just be patient for a month or so and see how it goes. Dont worry about the old growth. Healthy new growth is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for your replies!

This is the official dosage of the nutrients.
The description says this dosage is for tanks with light and co2.
I usually make 1 water change in a week with 50% of the water. I have light and co2. Thats why i add 5ml of macro and micro a day. (I should add 7 but i started gradually raise the dosage) (these are dayli amounts)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Thanks for your replies!

This is the official dosage of the nutrients.
The description says this dosage is for tanks with light and co2.
I usually make 1 water change in a week with 50% of the water. I have light and co2. Thats why i add 5ml of macro and micro a day. (I should add 7 but i started gradually raise the dosage) (these are dayli amounts)

I think you're probably using a dosage guide that is set up for decent light, CO2, and a heavily planted tank. You keep the ie levels in place with weekly water changes and usage by the plants. You don't have much plant usage at this point. A tank full of fast growing plants is going to use much more fertilizer. Have you tested any of the levels like nitrates? I would expect it to be high.

Also, do I read correctly that you're dosing macro and micro at the same time?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes i tested it as i said it in previous posts. Yes i add macro and micro at the same time(there are no information against this on the producers site, they said they use it before the bulbs starts).

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
Hi adamf1988,

I am blessed / cursed with very soft water here in Seattle, typically <1.0 dKH and <2.0 dGH (I tested yesterday) I am constantly fighting Ca and Mg deficiencies. I prefer to add Seachem Equilibrium (or my DIY equivalent) weekly with water changes but sometimes that it just not sufficient. Adding sufficient Seachem Equilibrium to raise the dGH by about 2.0 is usually enough to ensure adequate calcium, per the instructions one teaspoon (1 tsp) raises 20 gallons of water by 1.0 dGH.

Typically calcium sulfate (CaSO4) is used as the source of calcium for aquarium additives but I use calcium chloride (CaCl2) as well however I am careful to dissolve the crystals in water prior to adding it to the tank so fish don't eat the crystals. The crystals cause an exothermic reaction (generate heat) when they dissolve in water and I can't imagine what that would do to the stomach of a fish. For dosage: 1/4 teaspoon (tsp) per 10 gallons of water will raise the Ca by about 11ppm - the target level for Ca is usually 10ppm--30ppm. I would start with about 1/4 tsp per 20 gallons and add it again if improvement is noted.

I typically see improvement in the new growth in a week or two. It is unlikely the older leaves will show any change.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks!
I can bought only cacl2 in our best shop. I created a test solution in a little bottle. I just put some crystals into the water. Then i measured the kh of the solution. It is about 20. I add a little from the solution to the water. But i will use it as you described. Thanks for the information, i will try it!!!!!
P.s. we have tap water with ~22gh so i use ro water. My technics or the gravel in the tank raise the (ro) water to 7gh and 4 kh.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.