The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

So I got some phoenix moss to put in my 10 gallon about a month ago and I think something might be wrong with it now. Overall, it still looks green but there's like these hair-like strings coming out of it for some reason. (see attached pics) I tried moving it around thinking that it might be hair algae but it's part of the plant....
Any advice?...

Thanks,
Kt
 

Attachments

·
Registered
No tank right now :( :( :(
Joined
·
3,329 Posts
kind of looks like clado.
If it is clado then your moss is in big trouble - that stuff is not easy to deal with. Get rid of it now before it spreads. If clado is not kept under control it can be a huge pain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kind of looks like clado.
If it is clado then your moss is in big trouble - that stuff is not easy to deal with. Get rid of it now before it spreads. If clado is not kept under control it can be a huge pain.
Oh no ): ... Any suggestions on how to get rid of it ? u.u
(I think I might have too might bright light from my window.....)

Bump:
Does the strings have little pods on them?
It's hard to tell... It looks very much like thread is the best way to describe it though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,186 Posts
I've read that using excel might be a solution, and another one is a 2-5 second H2O2 or bleach dip
Unfortunately from what I understand, mosses don't like any of those solutions.
 

·
Plant Whisperer
Joined
·
2,550 Posts
It is clado, but it is not too bad to deal with in my experience. The algae itself will grow like a plant does (you cannot control it by having perfect conditions like most other algae species) but it is a very slow growing algae.

It will bubble vigorously and die when you treat it with hydrogen peroxide from the pharmacy store.

Here is what you do. Get a syringe from the pharmacy (you ask at the counter, it is for feeding babies medicine) and suck up some peroxide, then squirt it on the moss. This must be done underwater or you will kill the moss. Do not remove the moss from the tank when you apply peroxide. The maximum dose you can use per day is 3 mL / gallon / day. The algae should die with 1 treatment, but if you are treating a large section of the stuff it may take several days of treating each section to kill it off. The day after you treat the algae you will notice that it has changed colors and is now a gray/whitish color, this means it is dead. It will take a few days to decay away. You may need to do a second treatment after a week or two to kill any stragglers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is clado, but it is not too bad to deal with in my experience. The algae itself will grow like a plant does (you cannot control it by having perfect conditions like most other algae species) but it is a very slow growing algae.

It will bubble vigorously and die when you treat it with hydrogen peroxide from the pharmacy store.

Here is what you do. Get a syringe from the pharmacy (you ask at the counter, it is for feeding babies medicine) and suck up some peroxide, then squirt it on the moss. This must be done underwater or you will kill the moss. Do not remove the moss from the tank when you apply peroxide. The maximum dose you can use per day is 3 mL / gallon / day. The algae should die with 1 treatment, but if you are treating a large section of the stuff it may take several days of treating each section to kill it off. The day after you treat the algae you will notice that it has changed colors and is now a gray/whitish color, this means it is dead. It will take a few days to decay away. You may need to do a second treatment after a week or two to kill any stragglers.
Thanks for the response. :)

Will the peroxide affect my fish at all? (I have corys and a betta)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,538 Posts
Did you kill the algae off along with the moss off with h2o2? depending on how much you dosed.. At this stage your moss seems more delicate and prone to melt away, so thought I'd ask the q. Update? I'd try going more flow and add co2 in there..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you kill the algae off along with the moss off with h2o2? depending on how much you dosed.. At this stage your moss seems more delicate and prone to melt away, so thought I'd ask the q. Update? I'd try going more flow and add co2 in there..
Update: I used 1ml / gal of h2o2, and it seems to be helping a lot so far. :)
(sorry for the glare)
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,186 Posts
Looks pretty dead to me. Keep dosing (better to underdose than overdose) and try to up the flow if you can.
Do some water changes daily and you should be good.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top