The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking on putting a few feeder shrimps in my planted tank just to see how they do before i put in my crs and cbs shrimps. Is this going to be a problem for my crs and their offspring? Iheard that the feeder shrimp might even feed on the crs shrimp babies. And im pretty sure that its going to be hard to scoop them out once everything is established. I just cant find anyone with cheap cherries to use as test subjects.

your input please

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I assume by feeder shrimp you mean ghost shrimp. While actual ghost shrimp (american glass shrimp) wouldn't be a threat, many species sold as ghost shrimp are actually members macrobrachium, which can actually eat fish:
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1029

Personally, I'd be afraid of potential parasites and whatnot in feeder shrimp. I'd recommend trying RCS if you want to test the waters before getting CRS. However, RCS are a prolific bunch, and you might have trouble clearing the tank of them before getting CRS. There is no risk in predation, though, and they cannot crossbreed, so it is fine for them to co-habitate.

·
Registered
167 Posts
but it will stress the CRS/CBS out everytime u take out your feeder shrimp for...well....feeding fishes

·
Registered
518 Posts
RCS + ghost shrimp + Amano shrimp

I have them together in my 180' and about two hundred small fish ( Rasboras mainly) and I wish that someone there would eat RCS'es, for there are several hundred of them and are beginning to clutter my tank.

The plant cover is a jungle like, so even the smallest shrimplets getting away from a serious depredation and from time to time I see a grown baby Rasboras joining the crowd.

When it comes to snails, it seems that they are left for me to predate upon...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.