The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 17 neons in a 65 with 1 pristella and some cherries and amano shrimp. They destroyed the one cardinal I had in there. But I'm noticing more problems. 2 are outcast and hide together under some drift wood in a corner, and one is missing an eye. What the heck?

Heavily planted thank, with adequate filtration.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Eye balls are tasty. Somebody went after it.
I couldnt help but to laugh at that, not that I think its funny the op has a one eyed fish.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I couldnt help but to laugh at that, not that I think its funny the op has a one eyed fish.
Not to make light of a bad situation, there's an episode from the MushiShi Anime about the "One eyed fish"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSq6FeO6ypA

Sorry for your losses, I can't understand why your Neons would be to blame, my experience with them is that they're about the mellowest Tetra you can keep. You've got a single Pristella sometimes fish kept singly will go a bit psycho. Although Pristella's also qualify for being super mellow.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Some of my neons do this too. I haven't noticed any aggression or injuries though. It used to be just one but then when I moved some things around others started doing it too. I might have stressed some of the less dominant ones so maybe they just need time to recover.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
LOL. But why the aggression?
It's not aggression. It's hunger. Maybe the pristella went after it.

Bump:
Try eating a fish eye ball when you cook one up with the head. You can spit out the hard part in the middle.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Are you sure it's the neons? I have about 27 neons in my tank and while they are the smallest fish in the tank, they aren't aggressive. You might want to check the shrimp. I caught my ghost shrimp eating one of my fish. I went through about 4 fish before I took all of the shrimps out. They may pray on them when they are sleeping and close to the bottom.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
My neons (got rid of them) attacked and ate all of my glass shrimp, and rode my Betta's tail. I've been saying that neons are not necessarily any more or less aggressive than other tetras in some circumstances. Many people probably didn't believe me, but with posts like yours, my story gains credibility!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.