The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got a few red rili shrimp from LFS, noticed something yellow on the legs of 1 of them..
Can anyone help to identify what this is, and should I do anything about it?
Hope the picture is clear enough to see..

Thank you!
EDIT: Have since fished it out into another smaller tank (quarantine), but hope to know if there's any way to treat it?
Water Plant Fish supply Pet supply Organism

·
Super Moderator
16,076 Posts
If you search the forum, @tyubhunhg, you'll find quite a few shrimpers using different methods for treatment. A few may be worth your consideration. Search for 'Cladogonium', as @Zoidburg mentioned to start.

I've had salt dips work in the past with decent enough success that it's usually my first go-to. Also seems to be the least stressful for the shrimp (depending upon its health) because it's relatively quick. Some use diluted peroxide and other chemicals but I find them to be much too harsh for a first attempt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you search the forum, @tyubhunhg, you'll find quite a few shrimpers using different methods for treatment. A few may be worth your consideration. Search for 'Cladogonium', as @Zoidburg mentioned to start.

I've had salt dips work in the past with decent enough success that it's usually my first go-to. Also seems to be the least stressful for the shrimp (depending upon its health) because it's relatively quick. Some use diluted peroxide and other chemicals but I find them to be much too harsh for a first attempt.
Thank you for the info! Ive looked around the forum and other sites, and have started trying salt dips, starting from a lower concentration.. Hopefully it helps.. thanks!

·
Super Moderator
16,076 Posts
Thank you for the info! Ive looked around the forum and other sites, and have started trying salt dips, starting from a lower concentration.. Hopefully it helps.. thanks!
I've had good luck using a US Tablespoon (roughly 14 grams) of aquarium salt per cup (230-240ml) of water for quick 1-minute dips. Sometimes dipping once per day and keeping the impacted shrimp (singular or plural) in a darkened tank works really well.

Have also tried dipping multiple times per day when it's really bad. I'm not sure if increased frequency ever helped but I've never noticed any adverse impact.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had good luck using a US Tablespoon (roughly 14 grams) of aquarium salt per cup (230-240ml) of water for quick 1-minute dips. Sometimes dipping once per day and keeping the impacted shrimp (singular or plural) in a darkened tank works really well.

Have also tried dipping multiple times per day when it's really bad. I'm not sure if increased frequency ever helped but I've never noticed any adverse impact.
Thanks for the advice! I'm at 1tbsp/2cups now and Ill work towards 1 cup of water soon.. Might try multiple times a day if all else fails. Hoping for the best!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts