The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if that's the grown version of those little duckweed thingies or?
Came with some other plants

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent I like the dangling root bit like a plant jellyfish.
Yes next water change I will get rid of the duckweed. Glad to know the big one isn't duckweed!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really like this plant the more I read up on it.
I don't have a nitrate problem that I have found however what better way to not have a problem then avoid one in the first place?
Plus cant hurt to shade the catfish a bit they don't like total brightness anyway.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is no dwarf water lettuce. Only water lettuce. It's small because it's being grown inside. Gotta put that in my signature I guess.
Thats a lot to put in a signature.:nerd:
Guess you have some being native to Florida and all lol

·
Registered
357 Posts
I can see if I can get a photo or two later on, but the main differences I've noted between regular water lettuce and the dwarf variety are:

Regular water lettuce leaves grow more out of the water. They grow up, whereas the dwarf variety will have the leaves laying flat on the water.

The roots of dwarf water lettuce never seem to exceed approx 3", whereas the roots of regular water lettuce will easily reach 6+" deep into the water. If you have a very deep tank, and you want a place for fry to hide, water lettuce is fantastic.

If your tank isn't 20+ inches deep, the dwarf variety will provide a nice surface cover and place for fry to hide without taking over the upper 1/3 of your tank.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No. There is no dwarf variety. There are no recognized subspecies or varieties of Pistia stratiotes. None. I'm willing to bet that over time things will equalize or some other factor is responsible.
Have to agree all my research shows no subspecies.:nerd:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Regular water lettuce. I bought one a while back, it was bigger than a baseball, and upon introduction, it slowly dies but I managed to save it and now it's spreading like wildfire just as is in your picture. Like others have said, it's a pond plant and grows according to its surroundings. Inside in the home aquarium, I'm thinking it won't get much bigger but it will reproduce.

The little stuff in the left corner looks like duckweed though

My ten gallon Betta mansion.

-->Max

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.