The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It grew some roots down into a sponge filter so I couldn't pick it out of the tank. Sorry it's so blown out, I can take another pic tomorrow if this isn't good enough. It has leaves the size of my fingernail and has a corm looking thing that the leaves come out of.
I want to buy more but I've forgotten where I got it from and it's so tiny I'm afraid to separate the baby plantlets with tweezers because it's so small.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Anubia nana 'Petite' perhaps? If the leaves stay as small as that then maybe. If it came up volunteer there, I'd leave it be. It's not often you have the opportunity to make a sponge filter really interesting.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it's a C. Parva, but does anyone know if C. Parva exhibits different leaves in different environments?

·
Registered
410 Posts
No, C. parva looks the same whether emergent or submersed. Also, Crypts. grow from rhizomes. That looks like a bulb or tuber on the bottom.

Aponogeton perhaps? A swordplant seed made its way into your tank? An interesting mystery.

Here's a question, how does it grow? Does a new leaf just spring up from the center or does it grow from inside a sheath from the leaf before it?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Rhizome is the size of a grain of white rice. I don't think it's Petite, this plant is much softer than Anubias. Leaves sprout from the rhizome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts