The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only have a 56 gallon tank, and one airline tube running now. My wife was fine with the noise from the AquaClear50 HOB. She was okay with the rattling impeller on the Emperor 400 added to that. When I plugged in the bubbler, a Top Fin Air 8000, that was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. It's gotta go.

For those of you who have tried different types, what is the quietest model you have ever found?

(And what ways have you effectively reduced vibration/noise/hum on your equipment?) The tank is right behind the couch where we sit to watch TV and the noise from the two HOBs and bubbler make it so we can't hear each other talk or hear the TV very well.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have the whisper 60 and a Penn Plax one made for a 10g. Both are fairly quiet. Whisper is quieter than penn plax tho. I took an old dish rag towel and folded in quarters to help absorb vibrations and it made almost silent.

Those are the only two I have tried and cant really complain about them. You could also try hanging it under your stand in an old nylon from you wife and they usually helps alot too!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Fyi they dont have to be in the same room. air line is cheap locate it somewhere else (loft is good if you can) and run the hose to the tank (best way to keep it quiet)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts