The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if plants use LIGHT to produce oxygen, then why use a filter/powerhead? The filter would just cause more water agitation and thus decreasing CO2 intake/oxygen-producing anyway...

right?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Yes and no. Yes, if you are going to the extent of injecting or adding CO2 into the water column, to increase the levels from what the atmospheric concentration is, then HOBs or bubblewands, anything that adds surface turbulence, will offgas the CO2 you went out of your way to add.

But no, using such filtration/water movement methods don't generally inhibit photosynthesis. As long as it remains a constant, it will probably match whatever the atmospheric CO2 concentration is consistently, therefore always having some CO2 available. If CO2 weren't present in the atmosphere, then terrestrial plants would not be able to photosynthesize, as they do in most places all throughout the world.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
You can add oxygen to a tank with some powerheads, by using venturi effect, but I wouldn't say that a powerhead's primary objective in life is to aerate. I'd say it is for water movement.

Okay, overthinker, so now that I think I get what you were asking: that's a good question-- why would you use a powerhead to add oxygen to a planted tank?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts