The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at a few Milwaukee ph meters not sure if I get a unit you would mount or the pen type?

Here are the 2 i was looking at

will I have problems running the mounted unit 24/7?
Anyone have experience with these?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I tried a cheapo Amazon pen and realized its wayy off the mark, and didnt calibrate properly. Forked out a bit more for an Apera PH20 (their cheapest) and itsy awesome. Super easy to calibrate, accurate (tested on reference calibration liquid).

Should have gone that route first as its not that much more expensive. Buy cheap buy twice folks say.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Great question. I also just got a highly rated cheapo from amazon. Would love to buy something a bit better without committing too much money.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I use only the pen types. In that category, I've used Apera, Hanna and a few other nominally higher quality brands. In the last few years I've switched to low-price ("junk") meters, but with high ratings. I haven't noticed a difference. pH meters don't involve rocket science, but you can get bad ones. It is easy to determine if the meter is good, or not, simply by using the calibration solutions. I would focus upon those pen meters that make calibration as easy as possible and have high resolution and accuracy.

If I were interested in a pH meter for controller purposes, then I would go with a brand with a good reputation, such as Milwaukee.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The more I look into my option the more I think I want a Milwaukee over the rest. how long have you been using it for? have you had to replace the probe at all? how often do you calibrate it?
Been using it for six or seven months and haven't replaced the probe. I don't calibrate often since I've got a flow meter on my regulator and am not depending on the meter. That said, it's been running continuously in my sump for a good long while since its last calibration and the readings haven't drifted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts