The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get started on shrimps. Which one is the easiest out there? How should I set up a tank?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Red Cherry Shrimp (RCS) are very easy, and there is a detailed sticky thread dedicated to keeping them in this forum sub-section.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Another vote for Red Cherry Shrimp. I bought 6 and have more than I can count. I keep up with my 50 % water changes and the tank is heavily planted so I suppose the conditions are good for them. I feed my fish generously and depend on the shrimp to clean up anything missed.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sounds great. I'll go get some RCS when the tank is set up.

Talking about ghost shrimps, are they easy to breed? I'm thinking about keeping a "live food farm" for my apistos.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've had ghost shrimp in the past and never had mine breed either (not that I noticed, anyway...)

I'd definitely cast another vote for red cherries. I put a 6-gallon shrimp tank on my desk at work. Started with 12 cherries back in April and now I've given away two big batches and still have at least 50 in there. I added 8 Endler's a couple of months ago and the shrimp ignore them completely. They're very easy and tolerant and fun to watch. The young have no larval stage. They hatch fully independent, so there's no special care required there, either.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ghost shrimp creep me out...as do the stories of them eating other shrimp and the fins of sleeping fish :icon_eek:

I just ordered some red cherries from aquabid, by way of buying a pair of dwarf orange crayfish for $40. I did a search for RCS, and the crayfish came up because the seller was throwing them in to sweeten the deal...lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts