The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
That is a hard question, because what is easy for some might be difficult for others due to their conditions. For me, any of the Cryptocornes grow really well, as do Echinodorus (sword plants). I don't have any luck with Java fern!

·
Registered
70 Posts
That is a hard question, because what is easy for some might be difficult for others due to their conditions. For me, any of the Cryptocornes grow really well, as do Echinodorus (sword plants). I don't have any luck with Java fern!
I agree. I have great luck with crypts, swords and anubias. However, I can't grow ferns and moss to save my life. It's really going to depend on your setup and water conditions.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Will vary from aquarium to aquarium due to different water conditions, but my Java Ferns are un-killable! These should be attached to either a log or rock.
Still can't grow them. I have tried high tech, low tech, every tank I have, various kinds of Java ferns, always attached to wood or rocks ... no luck. Right now I have two small pieces of 'Windelov' hanging on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Still can't grow them. I have tried high tech, low tech, every tank I have, various kinds of Java ferns, always attached to wood or rocks ... no luck. Right now I have two small pieces of 'Windelov' hanging on.
Well, I couldn't get anything else to grow except for them! I tried Hygrophyla difformis (Water Wisteria), Val, Ambulia, and several others which all died very quickly. I use rainwater with added Seachem Equilibrium to up the mineral content. They started out in a goldfish tank and I have since converted to tropical and they are still going strong.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Most aquarists have one or two plants that won't grow for them, so success isn't guaranteed, but in general, these are the easiest:

Java fern (regular, needle leaf, windelov, trident)
Java moss
Cryptocoryne wendtii (Green, bronze, brown)
Water wisteria
Floaters (duckweed, salvinia, frogbit, floating riccia)
Egeria densa
Anubias (nana and petite would be best for a nano)
Marimo balls
Pygmy chain sword (will need root tabs)

That should give you plenty to work with in a 1.5g. If it were my tank, I would replace the gravel with some cheap sand. Not only for the plants' health, but because it makes cleaning the tank much easier. Gravel has to be vacuumed, but detritus just sits on top of sand. You can siphon it out with some air line or even suck it up with a turkey baster - much easier than trying to maneuver a gravel vacuum around.

If you need scape ideas, check out this thread.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any of these 3 are very simple to keep.

Wow those don't even look real

Bump:
Most aquarists have one or two plants that won't grow for them, so success isn't guaranteed, but in general, these are the easiest:

Java fern (regular, needle leaf, windelov, trident)
Java moss
Cryptocoryne wendtii (Green, bronze, brown)
Water wisteria
Floaters (duckweed, salvinia, frogbit, floating riccia)
Egeria densa
Anubias (nana and petite would be best for a nano)
Marimo balls
Pygmy chain sword (will need root tabs)

That should give you plenty to work with in a 1.5g. If it were my tank, I would replace the gravel with some cheap sand. Not only for the plants' health, but because it makes cleaning the tank much easier. Gravel has to be vacuumed, but detritus just sits on top of sand. You can siphon it out with some air line or even suck it up with a turkey baster - much easier than trying to maneuver a gravel vacuum around.

If you need scape ideas, check out this thread.
I actually thought about replacing it with a substrate and sand.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Wow those don't even look real

Bump: I actually thought about replacing it with a substrate and sand.
That image was a joke, they are plastic plants :wink2:

Your plants will much prefer a real substrate. Eco-complete/flourite is relatively cheap and will help your plants significantly.

Water wisteria, java fern, anubias.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I'd get a rock or bit of wood you like and an Anubias 'Petit'.

Substrate doesn't matter at all except to make this look right. I'd use a pale sand to highlight the sculptural wood/rock and plant, make the most of the light you have and have a better scale for this teeny tank.

I have killed a 1.5" leafless rhizome that stayed green for a year that way. That's it and I've had the plant for something like 15 years.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That image was a joke, they are plastic plants :wink2:

Your plants will much prefer a real substrate. Eco-complete/flourite is relatively cheap and will help your plants significantly.

Water wisteria, java fern, anubias.
Lol. Yea I knew they weren't real. Just letting him know I could play that game also. I'm going to do a substrate. This was just going to be a small beta tank but the thing is just too cool looking to not grow something in it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Anubias for sure. I have had one strand of Anubias growing for over 5 years at this point and it has sometimes had no light, random light or overhead lighting No ferts, just feeding fish. I also have several nana growing in a jar with some shrimp. No filter or light, just ambient light.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.