The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the difference between A vivarium, Terrarium, Paludarium and Riparium are they really all the same thing live plants,some aquatic life and terrestial life reptiles,amphibians etc

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
If I'm wrong about this, someone please feel free to correct me but I'll do my best to try to sort out some of the differences (as far as I can tell it):

I think a Vivarium is actually a general term for any "environment" that we keep animals in (for example, Aquariums and Terrariums are both forms of vivarium I THINK....though vivarium is usually used interchangeably with terrarium)

A Terrarium I believe generally doesn't have an area for aquatic life, usually they're for reptiles or amphibians (desert or tropical) though sometimes the tropical ones will have a misting system or small water fall for humidity purposes.

A Paludarium is basically a tropical terrarium with a water feature usually filtered and large enough for some aquatic life. So it has a land area for a reptile or amphibian as well as a water area for fish or shrimp.

A Riparium, as i understand it, has an aquatic area as well as areas to grow emersed plants, but not a real land area for a reptile or amphibian to live on.

I think?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.