The Planted Tank Forum banner

whats you're favorite crystal red shrimp grade

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Why are sss+ so popular and so expensive? My personal opinion I think grade A looks way better with the even amount of white and red
Personally, I don't like any CRS. I think the bright red cherry shrimp look way better than any grade of CRS. Like everything else, though, it is all a matter of opinion. And the expensiveness is due to the rarity, like in most things.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Ya, personal opinion on what you like. I have yellows,red, crystals, snowballs and tigers and like them all as they are all different in their own way. I have some C grade crystals that are neat looking because they are almost all red with only a tiny bit of white and some SSS which I like cause its bright shiny white and everything in between.

·
Registered
84 Posts
LOL! I thought the same thing, but I only get creeped out when I see them in huge numbers swarming on food. A few in a tank are kinda cute.

I agree too about the A grade. I like the stripes.

I also agree the RCS are in many ways the nicer shrimp. The CRS I have are... forgive my lack of PC-ness here... a bit retarded. The RCS are fast and clever, the CRS are slow and fumble...If there were a predator about the RCS would survive...I like survivors.

So funny. I find Neocaridina creepy for some reason.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
RCS definitely survive, my population lived through a goldfish and an angelfish for the past 2+ years. now i still have some of them in a marina cubus tank of their own.

But don't the S grades have way better and more even stripes than any other grade? how are A grades superior in any way relating to color or color scheme?
A grades are hardier perhaps, which is why i kinda want to dial down from SS grades to A grades... A grade are harder to find than the higher grades these days o_o

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I honestly like the lower grade CRS much better than the higher grade ones. While I understand the economics of scarcity and the desire to have rare specimens, it just breaks down to what I like. I keep several different kinds of shrimps and I get a lot of enjoyment out of watching them, whether they are $5 S-grade CRS or $100 SSS. Part of the reason I like shrimps in the first place is their cool behavior and their usefulness as aquarium janitors- that some of them are nice to look at is just a bonus as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
122 Posts
At first I didn't care for Crystal shrimp and now I do to a point, but I couldn't see paying the money that some grades bring.

I do understand the "rarity" aspect, but they are still expensive!

Maybe one day I'll have some, until then I'll be content with my Fire-red Neo's!

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
At first I didn't care for Crystal shrimp and now I do to a point, but I couldn't see paying the money that some grades bring.

I do understand the "rarity" aspect, but they are still expensive!

Maybe one day I'll have some, until then I'll be content with my Fire-red Neo's!
Comes down to whether you want them for looking nice in your tank or breeding too? Would I pay $50 a piece for a 1 shrimp to put in my tank and have die in 1-2 years, probably not. Would I do it have it breed and possibly produce 100+ $50 babies? Yes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
LOL! I thought the same thing, but I only get creeped out when I see them in huge numbers swarming on food. A few in a tank are kinda cute.

I agree too about the A grade. I like the stripes.

I also agree the RCS are in many ways the nicer shrimp. The CRS I have are... forgive my lack of PC-ness here... a bit retarded. The RCS are fast and clever, the CRS are slow and fumble...If there were a predator about the RCS would survive...I like survivors.
I agree with the swarming that creeps me out. I saw them swarm a piece of algae wafer that was being eaten my a snail... The cherries swarmed both and caused the snail to go into hiding in his shell for two days /: but hes all good now. Compared to my small colony in the same tank of OEBT's and they just eat the leftovers... As the CRS i like the "higher grades with more white... idk why but i dont agree with the grading itself.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Most people start with the lower grade crystals because of price, then after having success they move to the higher grade ones. They are all cool, but I like the higher grades myself! LOL

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.