The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a 37g tank right now. I have a couple of large Anubias that I split and are doing well, and a couple Amazon swords and some wisteria. They are all planted into a moderately small size of gravel. I was just wondering if it was more productive to just plant them and let their roots hold them in, or if it would be better to get some of those small black plastic pots and plant them with those, based of the size of the gravel. I have never really been sure if they could really hold themselves into the gravel if needed, or if it was totally ok. Just wondering here if I need to change something up or if it's all good. And thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The rhizome of the Anubias shouldn't be covered by the substrate but rather tied to a rock or some driftwood. It's roots will eventually grab on to the surface of the rock or driftwood.

Gravel is generally not the best substrate to plant in since it is inert (holds no nutrients). Pots aren't necessary for planting. You can just push the base of the stem into the substrate and it will eventually root itself.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What if I were to take some of the gravel out and mix sand in along with the remaining gravel? Would that work, or what other options are there for making a nice looking substrate. BTW, the substrate is mainly a flourite (I believe) gravel.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. Good. So the fact that it's still kind of the same size of gravel for the most part won't affect too badly the way the plants are able to root? Just trying to think ahead of what to do with the tank, and if I really need to totally tear down I want to make sure the substrate is right.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Given that your tank conditions are good the plants will have no trouble rooting in the flourite. Don't be afraid to stick a significant portion of the base of the stem in the substrate to get it to hold. Tweezers make this process easier. Hope this helps :icon_smil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts